[SOLVED] New B550 MoBo Won't Post to BIOS HELP

Jun 12, 2021
NEED HELP Upgrading my 9 year old rig of i5 3400, 8gig DDR3, and GTX 680.

Uping to Ryzen 5 3600 with 16gig DDR4. Keeping graphics card for now since prices are ridiculous. Aiming for RTX3060.

Booting in new mobo. MSI B550 A-Pro. Plug it all in and no post. LEDs light up on boot device, expected since there is no drive plugged in. However there is also no image. I've taken the GPU out, tried one RAM, tried just CPU, and tried to flash update bios. LEDs don't suggest CPU or RAM issue. This is a second mobo and cpu I've tried and still seen this issue. I've returned the originals through Amazon to get brand new replacements on both these parts.

My question is, is the GTX 680 not compatible with a B550 mobo? It's been the only common denominator, except for RAM but the RAM LEDs are not showing up on mobo. The internet gives me mixed answers. Some say it is compatible but than others don't.

Solution
I'll give the CMOS rest a try. Why is CMOS reset more important due to BIOS update?

Yes, I've used only the GPU I/0 since the 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics. The GPU uses two 6 pin connectors and I believe they're in there pretty good.
BIOS settings saved in CMOS can become illogical for the attached hardware when a CPU, memory or GPU is changed. That can make it behave strangely. A CMOS forces all settings to defaults that should work logically even if in the most limited of ways. When a BIOS is updated the process may or may not reset CMOS as part of the update and the saved settings can be made even more illogical, not just for the attached hardware changes but because the BIOS itself changed. It may or may not...
NEED HELP Upgrading my 9 year old rig of i5 3400, 8gig DDR3, and GTX 680.

Uping to Ryzen 5 3600 with 16gig DDR4. Keeping graphics card for now since prices are ridiculous. Aiming for RTX3060.

Booting in new mobo. MSI B550 A-Pro. Plug it all in and no post. LEDs light up on boot device, expected since there is no drive plugged in. However there is also no image. I've taken the GPU out, tried one RAM, tried just CPU, and tried to flash update bios. LEDs don't suggest CPU or RAM issue. This is a second mobo and cpu I've tried and still seen this issue. I've returned the originals through Amazon to get brand new replacements on both these parts.

My question is, is the GTX 680 not compatible with a B550 mobo? It's been the only common denominator, except for RAM but the RAM LEDs are not showing up on mobo. The internet gives me mixed answers. Some say it is compatible but than others don't.

GTX680 is compatible.

What connector are you using to attach the monitor? It has to be one on the GTX680, not one on the motherboard.

Also, be sure to reset CMOS first.

Jun 12, 2021
GTX680 is compatible.

What connector are you using to attach the monitor? It has to be one on the GTX680, not one on the motherboard.

Also, be sure to reset CMOS first.
For the connecter I've done both the PCIE 3.0 and 4.0 ports. I've also used a VGA-DVI, a DVI, HDMI, and Display Port. I haven't reset the CMOS but I did flash a BIOS update.

.... I've also used a VGA-DVI, a DVI, HDMI, and Display Port. I haven't reset the CMOS but I did flash a BIOS update.
So long as those ports are located on the GTX680's I/O panel that's what you should be using. The BIOS update makes it even more important to do the CMOS reset.

Your trouble LED's stepping through CPU, DRAM, and VGA suggests they're getting through POST for them.

Does that GPU need supplemental power connector? is it solidly attached at both ends?

Jun 12, 2021
I'll give the CMOS rest a try. Why is CMOS reset more important due to BIOS update?

Yes, I've used only the GPU I/0 since the 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics. The GPU uses two 6 pin connectors and I believe they're in there pretty good.

BIOS settings saved in CMOS can become illogical for the attached hardware when a CPU, memory or GPU is changed. That can make it behave strangely. A CMOS forces all settings to defaults that should work logically even if in the most limited of ways. When a BIOS is updated the process may or may not reset CMOS as part of the update and the saved settings can be made even more illogical, not just for the attached hardware changes but because the BIOS itself changed. It may or may not help but it's something you can do to eliminate a very big uncertainty when having problems.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 12, 2021
BIOS settings saved in CMOS can become illogical for the attached hardware when a CPU, memory or GPU is changed. That can make it behave strangely. A CMOS forces all settings to defaults that should work logically even if in the most limited of ways. When a BIOS is updated the process may or may not reset CMOS as part of the update and the saved settings can be made even more illogical, not just for the attached hardware changes but because the BIOS itself changed. It may or may not help but it's something you can do to eliminate a very big uncertainty when having problems.
Got it. I'll reset the CMOS when I get the chance to. Any ideas what might be the problem if CMOS doesn't work? Power supply and GPU work on old rig. And this is the second set of CPU and MoBo so I think it unlikely that both sets of CPUs and Mobos were defective.

Jun 12, 2021
Reseting CMOS didn't work. I removed the battery for 15-20 minutes. No dice.

Jun 12, 2021
So just as a final update to this thread. I believe the end result was of a old PSU, though I have no concrete evidence. Here is the list of things that were done for me to come to this conclusion:

1. This was the second set of CPU and Mobo. I find it highly unlikely that both sets were defective.
  2. Using POST LEDs in conjunction with a POST speaker, I was able to confirm that CPU was correctly installed and RAM DIMMs were installed and being read.
  3. POST speaker indicated a 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps which means not reading the GPU.
  4. CMOS had been reset in addition to BIOS being updated, before and after.
  5. POST LEDs and POST speaker still indicate VGA issue.
  6. Two monitors were used in addition to VGA, DVI, HDMI, and DP cables. All plugged into GPU. No good.
  7. GPU works in old system, currently using it while typing this. However, PSU works as well, also using it currently.
  8. On boot of new Mobo I get all fans going, including GPU fan, as well as POSTs for CPU and RAM. However, the system tells me no GPU is plugged in.

In conclusion, this leads me to believe that the PSU is old. It is a 7 year old Corsair RX 650W modular unit. Seems to be working fine now, but I may not be able to hand the load with a new build. I'm not willing to pay for a new PSU as of now since I was already over budget as was and had not even bought a new GPU yet. All parts are being returned.

I left this reply to this thread so that others can see what I found out. I was not able to find my specific problem though Google so hopely this will remain here for someone who runs into a similar problem. Thanks for the help.