New Battery not charging. Instant off when unplugging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

czwr1d

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
I have a Toshiba Qosmio X505-880 laptop. The battery had only about 20 minutes of charge, so I bought a new one (Duracell brand from Batteries Plus.) It fit OK and had just a little more Wh rating.

The instructions said that to recalibrate the battery meter I should charge 4 hours (done) then drain the battery until the system turns off. I turned off the power settings in Windows 7 so the laptop would not shut down before running out of power and left it running while doing some other stuff. It seemed to be off a little sooner than I expected, but I started charging it another 4 hours - at first with the laptop off. The instructions with the battery said you may have to do this several times.

This is where something wasn't right. The charging light stayed yellow (charging) rather than turning red (charged) after 4 hours and the battery icon in the system tray stays at 37%. I unplugged the laptop to leave it running while I went to bed and it lost power instantly.

I can run it on A/C just fine, but the LED says it is charging and it still shows 37%.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.