New BB Torch Costs as Much to Make as iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I love RIM, I had a blackberry before switching over to the EVO. I just don't see how this phone can go up against the competition that is out now with that price tag.

eaw2539

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have an iPhone 4 and love it, despite all the bad reviews. For the record, I hate Apple, but I am not too stubborn to commend them when they do occasionally make a product worth buying.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Yeah, RIM really had some nice products, and I might have gone that way when I recently decided to swap my multimedia phone (LG Touch) for a smartphone. With the lastest Android offerings, I had to go with the Droid X. I thought I would really miss a hardware keyboard since I do so much texting and note writing with my phone; but the Droid X gives me the option of voice as well as a very responsive multi-touch touchscreen, so I haven't missed the HW keyboard at all.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I love BlackBerry. I wish they had this before I switched phones. I had the Bold 9000. I still use it for various tasks, just not as my phone. I went with the Samsung Captivate. When I was buying it AT&T still had that "large mysterious box" setup but wouldn't say what was in it. Turned out to be the Torch. Our local AT&T store still only has the Torch in that display under glass and none to try out.
I thought I would miss the BB keyboard I had grown to love but Swype has taken care of that now.
I do think the Torch is too little too late. They have lost so much in the consumer space, but I think this will keep them going in the business realm.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]@ eaw2539 What the heck does that have to do with an article on the teardown of a blackberry? No one cares if you like your iphone.[/citation]
You do realize that iPhone 4 is in the title of the article and the article itself mentions "iPhone" several more times, right? That makes it relevant...

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I love my bb tour but the torch has me interested but I'll probably wait until the 1st revision before I consider changing. My tour is just a fantastic phone for what I need my smartphone to do (email, gps, read docs, and light browsing to google a question). I've eyeballed the droids now and again but I don't care for any of their keyboards when compared to my tour's. And yes, I am one of those Luddites who demands a physical keyboard.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
They needed to release this on more networks than just AT&T... My fiancée would have loved to get this, she loves blackberry but has been really temped by my Pre's physical design, though she hasn't used it enough to know just how nice webOS is in and of itself, and she's coming eligible for upgrade shortly. I wonder what RIM has planned for BB6 phones on the other carriers.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Used to love blackberry well the keyboard anyway. Not a huge fan of the tour/bold keyboard. I liked the curve with hard buttons. The OS feels to dated. It takes them forever to update anything and fit always feel incomplete. I got used to my evo touch screen and now I think my bb days wee over.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]eaw2539[/nom]I have an iPhone 4 and love it, despite all the bad reviews. For the record, I hate Apple, but I am not too stubborn to commend them when they do occasionally make a product worth buying.[/citation]

don't just downvote any comment that mentions apple or iphone.

this is a perfectly fair and valid comment. for something that costs the same as the BB, the iphone 4's hardware SHITS ALL OVER the torch.

seriously, its like the graphics calculator weirdness: "it must cost alot of money to find engineers that still know how to make a screen that crap" - XKCD

just imagine if the iphone 4 some how wasn't made by apple, and had android on it! would have totally bought it! alas... Apple's police state can suck my ****s

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
So where does the cost difference go? The iPhone 4 has a better display and processor, so presumably those two things are more expensive. I'd guess the cost difference goes into mechanical things like the keyboard slider?

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wish the author would correct the error in this article (which has also been posted in other articles). Amazon did not "cut" the price of the Torch. Amazon, and other retailers like Wirefly.com, have ALWAYS offered the Torch at $99. It's standard procedure for these types of retailers, they offer all the top phones (except iPhone) at a discounted price. There are restrictions to getting the phone at that price.

PC World put out an erroneous report about a "price drop" on the Torch and few journalists are bothering to correct it.

I have the Torch and it's the best BB I've had. The new OS is very good and the phone runs beautifully for me.

G

I can't wait to get my hands on one. It works really well, what more do you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.