New Belarc Version 7.0t

For a refresher course:
Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one? Memory
seems to fade so quickly.
I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
Thanks.

Harry.

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Harry,

The Belarc installation routine uninstalls previous versions of Belarc
if it identifies that there is an earlier version installed. Just run
the new installation and you should be okay.

Tom

webster72n wrote:
> For a refresher course:
> Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
> latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one? Memory
> seems to fade so quickly.
> I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
> Thanks.
>
> Harry.

Shane

Harry, any decently-written software that requires the uninstallation of a
previous version first, will say so during setup. Having said that, almost
no software does require that.

A certain amount of advice gets spread around here to do this but it's
mostly paranoia. One is reminded of Chicken Little (or possibly Foghorn
Leghorn). There are many here among us old enough to remember 'Don't Worry,
Be Happy', but for whom worrying appears to be a pre-requisite to happiness.

:)

Shane

> For a refresher course:
> Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
> latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
> Memory
> seems to fade so quickly.
> I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
> Thanks.
>
> Harry.

Shane and Tom:

That's what I suspected, but couldn't be sure of.
I like your expansion on the subject, Shane.
Very educational.
Thanks to both of you.

Harry.

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Harry, any decently-written software that requires the uninstallation of a
> previous version first, will say so during setup. Having said that, almost
> no software does require that.
>
> A certain amount of advice gets spread around here to do this but it's
> mostly paranoia. One is reminded of Chicken Little (or possibly Foghorn
> Leghorn). There are many here among us old enough to remember 'Don't
Worry,
> Be Happy', but for whom worrying appears to be a pre-requisite to
happiness.

> :)
>

> Shane
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > For a refresher course:
> > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing
the
> > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
> > Memory
> > seems to fade so quickly.
> > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Harry.

Chris

Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job? If not
why does it stop working for me when refused it?

"webster72n" wrote:

> For a refresher course:
> Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
> latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one? Memory
> seems to fade so quickly.
> I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
> Thanks.
>
> Harry.

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Not that I'm aware of. It creates a local html profile of your system
that contains external links. The profile is then displayed in your
default browser, so I'm not clear what it is you're refusing.

Chris wrote:
> Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job? If not
> why does it stop working for me when refused it?

Chris:
".....when refused it?"
Sounds totally unclear to me.
It should be working all on it's own and not refusing anything.
Or did you?

Harry.

> Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job? If
not
> why does it stop working for me when refused it?
>
> "webster72n" wrote:
>
> > For a refresher course:
> > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing
the
> > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
Memory
> > seems to fade so quickly.
> > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Harry.

Chris

Firewall asked me Belarc wants to connects to the internet and I thought get
out of here and said no. From then on Belarc does not open. When clicking on
the icon I get a message saying "updating your profile of this computer" and
when the progress bar reaches to the end it goes away and nothing else shows
up. Very weired. So, as is I can't use it. I installed the new version and
still same thing happening.

"webster72n" wrote:

> Chris:
> ".....when refused it?"
> Sounds totally unclear to me.
> It should be working all on it's own and not refusing anything.
> Or did you?
>
> Harry.
>

> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job? If
> not
> > why does it stop working for me when refused it?
> >
> > "webster72n" wrote:
> >
> > > For a refresher course:
> > > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing
> the
> > > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
> Memory
> > > seems to fade so quickly.
> > > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Harry.

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Which firewall are you using? There was no request to access the
Internet with ZA Pro.

Belarc states in their FAQ: "The Belarc Advisor creates a local Web page
and does not send up your PC profile to a Web server or anywhere else."

Chris wrote:
> Firewall asked me Belarc wants to connects to the internet and I thought get
> out of here and said no. From then on Belarc does not open. When clicking on
> the icon I get a message saying "updating your profile of this computer" and
> when the progress bar reaches to the end it goes away and nothing else shows
> up. Very weired. So, as is I can't use it. I installed the new version and
> still same thing happening.

AFAIK, Belarc doesn't need a connection to the web - but it does need a
connection to Localhost (IP=127.0.0.1) so that it can open IE, and publish
the results to your screen.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job? If
> not
> why does it stop working for me when refused it?
>
> "webster72n" wrote:
>
>> For a refresher course:
>> Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing
>> the
>> latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
>> Memory
>> seems to fade so quickly.
>> I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Harry.

Chris:
When the firewall asked you, you should have allowed it and said "yes",
since you know the program and want to allow it.

Harry.

> Firewall asked me Belarc wants to connects to the internet and I thought
get
> out of here and said no. From then on Belarc does not open. When clicking
on
> the icon I get a message saying "updating your profile of this computer"
and
> when the progress bar reaches to the end it goes away and nothing else
shows
> up. Very weired. So, as is I can't use it. I installed the new version and
> still same thing happening.
>
> "webster72n" wrote:
>
> > Chris:
> > ".....when refused it?"
> > Sounds totally unclear to me.
> > It should be working all on it's own and not refusing anything.
> > Or did you?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Gentlemen, does Belarc need to be connected to the net to do its job?
If
> > not
> > > why does it stop working for me when refused it?

> > the
> > Memory

Just because you know a program, there's no need to give it unfettered
access to the Internet!

As I said, I suspect that if Chris checks his firewall rules, he's simply
prevented Belarc from accessing 127.0.0.1 - the localhost - which is
actually the local machine and not part of the Internet. This may be needed
for the way in which it publishes the HTML code and opens IE to view it.

--

> Chris:
> When the firewall asked you, you should have allowed it and said "yes",
> since you know the program and want to allow it.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Firewall asked me Belarc wants to connects to the internet and I thought
> get
>> out of here and said no. From then on Belarc does not open. When clicking
> on
>> the icon I get a message saying "updating your profile of this computer"
> and
>> when the progress bar reaches to the end it goes away and nothing else
> shows
>> up. Very weired. So, as is I can't use it. I installed the new version
>> and
>> still same thing happening.
>>
>> "webster72n" wrote:
>>
>> > Chris:
>> > ".....when refused it?"
>> > Sounds totally unclear to me.
>> > It should be working all on it's own and not refusing anything.
>> > Or did you?
>> >
>> > Harry.
>> >

>> > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If
>> > not

> installing
>> > the
>> > Memory

Chris

I have McAfee for firewall. When it asked me originally I said block.But, now
that I check the rules I don't find Belarc among the programs. Very strange.
Like I said before, now by clicking Belarc icon it goes through the motion of
creating the profile but goes away and does not open. I might just abandone
using it. Thank you for all your replies.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Just because you know a program, there's no need to give it unfettered
> access to the Internet!
>
> As I said, I suspect that if Chris checks his firewall rules, he's simply
> prevented Belarc from accessing 127.0.0.1 - the localhost - which is
> actually the local machine and not part of the Internet. This may be needed
> for the way in which it publishes the HTML code and opens IE to view it.
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Chris:
> > When the firewall asked you, you should have allowed it and said "yes",
> > since you know the program and want to allow it.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Firewall asked me Belarc wants to connects to the internet and I thought
> > get
> >> out of here and said no. From then on Belarc does not open. When clicking
> > on
> >> the icon I get a message saying "updating your profile of this computer"
> > and
> >> when the progress bar reaches to the end it goes away and nothing else
> > shows
> >> up. Very weired. So, as is I can't use it. I installed the new version
> >> and
> >> still same thing happening.

> > If

> > installing

Chris

Webster I am sure it is not Belarc, and thanks for the thoughts!

"webster72n" wrote:

> For a refresher course:
> Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
> latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one? Memory
> seems to fade so quickly.
> I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
> Thanks.
>
> Harry.

Chris:

It is too good a program not to have.
One last try before you abandon it?
How about installing the latest version of Belarc once more and this time
giving it the green light when the firewall asks you to? If you should get
it to work, you will not be sorry.

Harry.

> I have McAfee for firewall. When it asked me originally I said block.But,
now
> that I check the rules I don't find Belarc among the programs. Very
strange.
> Like I said before, now by clicking Belarc icon it goes through the motion
of
> creating the profile but goes away and does not open. I might just
abandone
> using it. Thank you for all your replies.
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
> > Just because you know a program, there's no need to give it unfettered
> > access to the Internet!
> >
> > As I said, I suspect that if Chris checks his firewall rules, he's
simply
> > prevented Belarc from accessing 127.0.0.1 - the localhost - which is
> > actually the local machine and not part of the Internet. This may be
needed
> > for the way in which it publishes the HTML code and opens IE to view
it.

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Chris:
> > > When the firewall asked you, you should have allowed it and said
"yes",
> > > since you know the program and want to allow it.
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > get
> > > on
> > > and
> > > shows

> > > If

> > > installing

Chris

Webster thanks for the kind reply. I have already reinstalled the new version
with no avail. This time around though the firewall did not ask me for
permitting Belarc. I think that one mishap did something to the system that
pissed off Belarc or something. While ago Noel, I believe, suggested using
the Everest home edition and that as well does pretty much what Belarc does.
It is intriguing though that I can't find out what happened here with Belarc.
Thanks again!

"webster72n" wrote:

> Chris:
>
> It is too good a program not to have.
> One last try before you abandon it?
> How about installing the latest version of Belarc once more and this time
> giving it the green light when the firewall asks you to? If you should get
> it to work, you will not be sorry.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have McAfee for firewall. When it asked me originally I said block.But,
> now
> > that I check the rules I don't find Belarc among the programs. Very
> strange.
> > Like I said before, now by clicking Belarc icon it goes through the motion
> of
> > creating the profile but goes away and does not open. I might just
> abandone
> > using it. Thank you for all your replies.
> >
> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> > > Just because you know a program, there's no need to give it unfettered
> > > access to the Internet!
> > >
> > > As I said, I suspect that if Chris checks his firewall rules, he's
> simply
> > > prevented Belarc from accessing 127.0.0.1 - the localhost - which is
> > > actually the local machine and not part of the Internet. This may be
> needed
> > > for the way in which it publishes the HTML code and opens IE to view
> it.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > >
> > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> > >
> > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> NG's
> > >
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> "yes",

> thought
> clicking
> computer"
> else
> version

> job?

Sorry to hear that, Chris.
Don't think Belarc is the culprit here, it must have to do with the
firewall. If I should find anything out, I'll let you know.

Harry.

> Webster thanks for the kind reply. I have already reinstalled the new
version
> with no avail. This time around though the firewall did not ask me for
> permitting Belarc. I think that one mishap did something to the system
that
> pissed off Belarc or something. While ago Noel, I believe, suggested using
> the Everest home edition and that as well does pretty much what Belarc
does.
> It is intriguing though that I can't find out what happened here with
Belarc.
> Thanks again!
>
> "webster72n" wrote:
>

> > Chris:
> >
> > It is too good a program not to have.
> > One last try before you abandon it?
> > How about installing the latest version of Belarc once more and this
time
> > giving it the green light when the firewall asks you to? If you should
get
> > it to work, you will not be sorry.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have McAfee for firewall. When it asked me originally I said
block.But,
> > now
> > > that I check the rules I don't find Belarc among the programs. Very
> > strange.
> > > Like I said before, now by clicking Belarc icon it goes through the
motion
> > of
> > > creating the profile but goes away and does not open. I might just
> > abandone
> > > using it. Thank you for all your replies.

> > simply
> > needed
> > it.

> > NG's

> > "yes",

> > thought
> > clicking
> > computer"
> > else
> > version

> > job?

You are welcome.

Harry.

> Webster I am sure it is not Belarc, and thanks for the thoughts!
>
> "webster72n" wrote:
>
> > For a refresher course:
> > Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing
the
> > latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one?
Memory
> > seems to fade so quickly.
> > I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Harry.

Shane

Among the list of rules, I'd suggest deleting the most recent one or few.
It's no great problem to have to re-estabish them. I'm certain Noel is
correct. And installing again won't help if you checked 'don't ask me again'
the first time round, because it won't.

Shane

> Webster thanks for the kind reply. I have already reinstalled the new
> version
> with no avail. This time around though the firewall did not ask me for
> permitting Belarc. I think that one mishap did something to the system
> that
> pissed off Belarc or something. While ago Noel, I believe, suggested using
> the Everest home edition and that as well does pretty much what Belarc
> does.
> It is intriguing though that I can't find out what happened here with
> Belarc.
> Thanks again!
>
> "webster72n" wrote:
>

>> Chris:
>>
>> It is too good a program not to have.
>> One last try before you abandon it?
>> How about installing the latest version of Belarc once more and this time
>> giving it the green light when the firewall asks you to? If you should
>> get
>> it to work, you will not be sorry.
>>
>> Harry.
>>

>> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have McAfee for firewall. When it asked me originally I said
>> > block.But,
>> now
>> > that I check the rules I don't find Belarc among the programs. Very
>> strange.
>> > Like I said before, now by clicking Belarc icon it goes through the
>> > motion
>> of
>> > creating the profile but goes away and does not open. I might just
>> abandone
>> > using it. Thank you for all your replies.

>> simply
>> needed
>> it.

>> NG's

>> "yes",

>> thought
>> clicking
>> computer"
>> else
>> version

>> job?

sunny

> Webster I am sure it is not Belarc, and thanks for the thoughts!

Just a suggestion :
On a mates PC I had to open Internet Explorer before running Belarc,
otherwise it didn't do anything.

The answer is probably in the readme.txt if there is one or Installation
Instructions (on their site?).

Despite Shane's normally sage wisdom, some software doesn't tell you
during the course of installation, if uninstalling previous versions is
recommended. (older and perhaps recent Mozilla products f'rinstance)

Rick
Don't worry, change the station.

webster72n wrote:
> For a refresher course:
> Must the prior version 6.1f of Belarc be uninstalled before installing the
> latest version 7.0t, or can it go right over the top of the old one? Memory
> seems to fade so quickly.
> I'd sent them an email, but no answer.
> Thanks.
>
> Harry.

If you've reinstalled, ZA asks again and it's ruleset is open to editing.

Rick

Shane wrote:
> Among the list of rules, I'd suggest deleting the most recent one or few.
> It's no great problem to have to re-estabish them. I'm certain Noel is
> correct. And installing again won't help if you checked 'don't ask me again'
> the first time round, because it won't.
>
> Shane
>

> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Webster thanks for the kind reply. I have already reinstalled the new
>>version
>>with no avail. This time around though the firewall did not ask me for
>>permitting Belarc. I think that one mishap did something to the system
>>that
>>pissed off Belarc or something. While ago Noel, I believe, suggested using
>>the Everest home edition and that as well does pretty much what Belarc
>>does.
>>It is intriguing though that I can't find out what happened here with
>>Belarc.
>>Thanks again!
>>
>>"webster72n" wrote:
>>

>>>Chris:
>>>
>>>It is too good a program not to have.
>>>One last try before you abandon it?
>>>How about installing the latest version of Belarc once more and this time
>>>giving it the green light when the firewall asks you to? If you should
>>>get
>>>it to work, you will not be sorry.
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>>

>>>"Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>>now

>>>strange.

>>>of

>>>abandone

>>>simply

>>>needed

>>>it.

>>>NG's

>>>"yes",

>>>thought

>>>clicking

>>>computer"

>>>else

>>>version

>>>job?

Shane

Rick T wrote:
> If you've reinstalled, ZA asks again and it's ruleset is open to
> editing.

You're saying install Advisor 7.0t, ZA asks if Belarc can connect (to
127.0.0.1, iirc), put a check in 'Don't ask me again' then click 'No'. Then
uninstall Advisor 7.0t, then re-install it and ZA will ask if the same
Advisor version can connect to the same address, via the same protocol,
again?

Just curious.

Shane

> Rick
>

> Shane wrote:
>> Among the list of rules, I'd suggest deleting the most recent one or
>> few. It's no great problem to have to re-estabish them. I'm certain
>> Noel is correct. And installing again won't help if you checked
>> 'don't ask me again' the first time round, because it won't.
>>
>> Shane
>>

>> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Webster thanks for the kind reply. I have already reinstalled the
>>> new version
>>> with no avail. This time around though the firewall did not ask me
>>> for permitting Belarc. I think that one mishap did something to the
>>> system that
>>> pissed off Belarc or something. While ago Noel, I believe,
>>> suggested using the Everest home edition and that as well does
>>> pretty much what Belarc does.
>>> It is intriguing though that I can't find out what happened here
>>> with Belarc.
>>> Thanks again!

Shane

Rick T wrote:
> The answer is probably in the readme.txt if there is one or
> Installation Instructions (on their site?).

You don't need to, Rick.

> Despite Shane's normally sage wisdom, some software doesn't tell you
> during the course of installation, if uninstalling previous versions
> is recommended. (older and perhaps recent Mozilla products
> f'rinstance)

My - possibly harsh - position is that by definition, software that requires
the uninstallation of a previous version, that neither does it for you or
tells you so during setup, is - if only in this respect - poorly-written. As
for Firefox, I do think it has poorly-written elements, but not in failing
to warn of a necessity to uninstall previous versions, as I don't believe it
is such. The only problem I've had related to an unsigned 3rd-party plugin.

Shane

Baba

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

I've just now downloaded and installed Belarc Adviser version 7.0t. While
installing this version, it uninstalled the previous version 7.0r with clear
indication in text that it was uninstalling the previous version and showing
the progress bar thereto. Hence, as far as the Belarc Adviser is concerned,
it is clear that there is no need to uninstall the old version while
installing the new version. The installation set up itself takes care of
uninstalling the previous version before installing the new version.

The problem of not showing the results (I, too, had this problem), is
addressed in the Belarc Adviser website FAQ (click Free Download tab) as
follows:

Q: The Advisor has installed and finished a discovery of my PC's hardware
and software, but I do not see any results.

A: Check that Windows is set to open files with the HTML extension in your
web browser. To do this, in the Folder Options windows control panel look at
the File Types tab. Select the HTML Document file type and check that it
opens with your preferred web browser.

If that doesn't work for you, open this file:
c:\program files\belarc\advisor\system\tmp\(COMPUTERNAME).html
(where COMPUTERNAME is the name of your PC) using the File|Open... menu in
your web browser