News New Bill Seeks to Ban Intelligence Sharing With Countries Using Huawei 5G Equipment

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think there's probably a better way to deal with these concerns than to simply blacklist specific countries as networking suppliers.

A better solution would be to require that all such equipment and its software undergo cyber security audits, and that the source code for the software be kept in escrow, for the sake of investigating any future cyber security incidents.

Blacklisting Huawei doesn't protect you from rogue employees at a supplier in a "safe" country inserting malicious back doors. Nor does it guarantee that those products from "safe" countries won't have bugs or unintentional holes that enable them to be compromised.

Jan 14, 2020
New Bill Seeks to Ban Intelligence Sharing With Countries Using Huawei 5G Equipment : Read more
[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha, classic... No wonder you lot have problems in the 'States. The give away is the line: "More recently, the Pentagon also started banning some Chinese applications, such as the social networking app TikTok, from being accessed on military networks."
In the UK and Europe you would be chucked in a dungeon and the key thrown away for using ANY social network apps on ANY military device. These are supposed to be secure military systems, not for your own social playing.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ha Ha, classic... No wonder you lot have problems in the 'States. The give away is the line: "More recently, the Pentagon also started banning some Chinese applications, such as the social networking app TikTok, from being accessed on military networks."
In the UK and Europe you would be chucked in a dungeon and the key thrown away for using ANY social network apps on ANY military device. These are supposed to be secure military systems, not for your own social playing.
I think that was a misquote. I believe what they mean is that they don't want soldiers to use TikTok on their own personal phones, in military installations.

Obviously, using such apps on military equipment should result in disciplinary action.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I think there's probably a better way to deal with these concerns than to simply blacklist specific countries as networking suppliers.

A better solution would be to require that all such equipment and its software undergo cyber security audits, and that the source code for the software be kept in escrow, for the sake of investigating any future cyber security incidents.

Blacklisting Huawei doesn't protect you from rogue employees at a supplier in a "safe" country inserting malicious back doors. Nor does it guarantee that those products from "safe" countries won't have bugs or unintentional holes that enable them to be compromised.

Today , spying is made in the hardware level not simply opensource software. it is impossible to know which part in a chip onboard is spying on you . almost impossible.

they spying program can be "hidden" inside chips very well.

Look at intel design for example , the "bugs" we are finding today were intentionially ignored for tens of years since the time of Core 2 duo ... and was discovered 10+ years later , I dont believe intel did not know about them. they were used to spy until discovered. and the new CPU design will have backdoors 1000%

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Look at intel design for example , the "bugs" we are finding today were intentionially ignored for tens of years
Do you have a credible source on that?

Part of the problem with your story is that these side-channel vulnerabilities are not terribly easy to exploit. If you were trying to intentionally put a backdoor in a chip, that isn't how you'd do it.