Question New Bluetooth 5.0 transmitter introduces distortion that wasn't present with Bluetooth 4.0 dongle... Why?

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I recently bought a pair of Bluetooth earphones and this Bluetooth 4.0 dongle along with them. The dongle works acceptably. However, it has a more limited range than I would like as well as a latency issue that causes music tracks that just began playing to actually start 1-2 seconds into the song rather than at the beginning. As a result of those issues, I began looking into Bluetooth 5.0 transmitters, thinking that acquiring one would help solve them. Ultimately, I ended up ordering this 5.0 transmitter / receiver, which arrived today. It did solve both of the issues I mentioned earlier, but it introduced a new, even more annoying one; that being distortion. For some reason, this transmitter introduces mild distortion into my music, whereas the dongle had no noticeable distortion at all. I tried to discern the cause of the distortion by doing things like testing both the transmitter's optical and 3.5mm AUX cables and using my PC's front jack instead of mobo jack, but nothing resolved the issue and the distortion remained. It was at that point that I realized that the transmitter had automatically selected "SBC" as the codec to utilize. My earphones, the HiFiMAN TWS600 support SBC and AAC. The transmitter supports SBC, APTX, LL, and "HD". I became curious about codecs, thinking they might be linked to the distortion, so I began to look into them (I now realize I should have done this prior to purchasing the transmitter). If I understood what I read correctly, SBC supposedly results in low quality audio, whereas AAC results in audio that is of above average quality. Admittedly, I'm not 100% certain that this is the cause of the distortion, as I couldn't find out what codecs the dongle supports, but I figure that must have something to do with it.

With all of that being said, would any of you guys be able to definitely tell me what is causing the distortion? On top of that, if possible, I would also like recommendations for a Bluetooth 5.0 transmitter than supports the AAC codec. After being dissatisfied by the one I linked earlier, I planned to request an exchange for this, but decided to inquire here first before I set myself up for disappointment again.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS