Question New broadband installation question

Oct 1, 2019
I'm getting virgin media installed this week and can only find one ethernet wall socket which was used as the bt broadband hub connection. But it is by the front door. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a new one installed next to the TV in the living room or would I have to use the original connection by the door as it would have been the master socket? Also would I be thinking about how could I then possibly get a connection from the router to the back office room where my computer will be located. Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
It will depend a lot on the construction of your house. If you have a basement then cabling could be run through the basement. If you have a single story house, then the attic can be used. I would recommend you search your local area for a company that specializes in low voltage and data cable installation. They have specialized tools that make cable installation simple and without damaging your walls.

Reactions: Eddie ice
Oct 1, 2019
Ido not have a basement and am willing to do the hard work myself thank you though for that advice; I think I've figured it out on how I should run it. Going from the master switch by the front door. Connect the hub. Use a powerline for the TV. And then run a cable under the stairs to the back bedroom and use a gigabit switch to connect multiple devices up via ethernet.

Most ISP run the cable on the outside of the house. If you have nobody living with you that objects to that it is pretty easy to just drill though outside walls and put in jacks.

Running cables depend so much on the house. In easy houses you can just drill through the top or bottom plate from the attic/basement and pull the wires in. Most interior walls are hollow so it tends to be easy.

The problems come when you can not easily get to the top or bottom to drill holes. The issue mostly is how good are you at fixing drywall and painting.

kanewolf

Titan
Ido not have a basement and am willing to do the hard work myself thank you though for that advice; I think I've figured it out on how I should run it. Going from the master switch by the front door. Connect the hub. Use a powerline for the TV. And then run a cable under the stairs to the back bedroom and use a gigabit switch to connect multiple devices up via ethernet.
Powerline (depending on the exact hardware) is good for 50 - 100Mbit throughput. As long as that performance is acceptable.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS