New Budget PC build for 3d Rendering and Gaming for architecture student. Please help!

UltraJukebox

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
I need to know, is this setup sufficient for running 3d programs like 3ds max, vray and lumion? Is gtx 1050ti (4gb variant) sufficient? I don't want to get a pro card. I expect this setup to last 5-6 years. So, my overall requirements call for a consumer graphic card. I am making do with a dual core 1.7ghz processor and on board graphics on a 8-9 year old laptop so this is gonna be leaps and bounds ahead regardless.

Note: If you have any suggestions or want to suggest a different system build, please use the 'Build Your Own PCs' provided on mdcomputers.in

PS: To check prices, please use the above site.

Thanks, I appreciate your time :)

Approximate Purchase Date: In 2 months (ie. in Feb/March)

Budget Range: Rs 60,000 (Indian Rupees) including monitor

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3d rendering, gaming (at 60 fps in 720p at least), editing, watching hd movies

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: N/A (Buying all parts new)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: mdcomputers.in (because the actual brick-n-mortar store is in my city)

Parts Preferences:

CPU: INTEL i5 7500 Kaby Lake 3.4 Ghz base clock 3.8 Ghz boost clock Rs. 16,700

Motherboard: MSI B250M MORTAR (INTEL SOCKET 1151MAX 64GB RAM of upto 2400Mhz DDR4 RAMs) Rs. 8,715

RAM: CORSAIR RAM VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHZ Rs. 7,980

Hard Disk: WESTERN DIGITAL HARD DISK 1TB SATA BLUE Rs. 3,520

Graphic Card: ZOTAC GTX 1050 TI 4GB GDDR5 OC Rs. 13,250

Power Supply: CORSAIR SMPS VS550 - 550 WATT PSU Rs.3,410

Case: DEEPCOOL MID TOWER CABINET (ATX) - TESSERACT SW with 2 fans Rs.3,250

Monitor: SAMSUNG MONITOR 18.5" LED With IPS Panel Rs.5,210

TOTAL: Rs. 62,035.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire:
No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1366 x 768 of the one I'm buying. I don't need an advanced one because I already have a 28 inch HD tv for movies etc.

Additional Comments: Softwares to be run on this system: AutoCAD 2017, Sketchup 2017 with VRay rendering ver 2.0, Lumion, Adobe Photoshop CS6

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I have a very old laptop which is on its deathbed.

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts. Please do not post only links.

Solution
As Half Life said: you got the order right. Depending on what you need, you should start looking for different things: for games and design, usually more cores and clock speeds are what you need (so the emphasis is put on speed). Having more VRAM allows you to load up more textures, hence it will be good if you're rendering or working on massive projects (3D designing a whole house with everything inside, its garrage, its front and back yard, the street in front of the house) or in games which generally "have a lot of graphical objects/ huge levels that need to be loaded into memory".

For most AAA games, by just having the latest generation of graphic cards you have the necessary speed to play them; but if you have low VRAM, it will...

I3lue1

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
First of all congratulations on such good fluency and literacy in the English language. I rarely stumble across such people. Bravo!

Regarding your build: The CPU is strong, the GPU is not so strong. It will run current games decently and you could get away with some 3D design but it's by no means future-proof. You'll need at some point (maybe in 1-2 years) to upgrade to a 1070 (or whatever equivalently powerful GPU will be available then) if you really want a great experience. As SSDs get cheaper and cheaper, replacing your HDD with a SSD, or just adding a SSD (i personally suggest replacing) at some point in time will boost your speed for everything.

All in all: a pretty strong starting point.

Edit: typo.

UltraJukebox

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

Thanks for your time :)

Will the 1060 3gb do the job? I can't afford anything above that! Tell me if the following is true: 1060 6gb>1060 3gb>1050 Ti 4gb>1050

I will upgrade after few years if need be.

I3lue1

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
As Half Life said: you got the order right. Depending on what you need, you should start looking for different things: for games and design, usually more cores and clock speeds are what you need (so the emphasis is put on speed). Having more VRAM allows you to load up more textures, hence it will be good if you're rendering or working on massive projects (3D designing a whole house with everything inside, its garrage, its front and back yard, the street in front of the house) or in games which generally "have a lot of graphical objects/ huge levels that need to be loaded into memory".

For most AAA games, by just having the latest generation of graphic cards you have the necessary speed to play them; but if you have low VRAM, it will become a bottleneck and your game will stutter since it will constantly be loading new and dumping old video data into the filled VRAM.

Go with 1060 3Gb (or 6 Gb if you can afford it) and then upgrade to something that has at least the same specs, but 8-12 Gb. This will make you futureproof for at least 3 years from now.

Solution

UltraJukebox

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

Got the 1060 6gb thanks!