New buid, can't install a graphics driver, system freeses at startup

KapJ1coH

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700, MOBO: ASRock x470 master SLI/AC, DRAM: Gskill TridentZ 16 GB 3200, GPU: gtx 760ti(waiting for 2070), PSU: Corsair CX650M.

The first boot was already like a box, but I thought it's because of unlicensed windows. After I installed nvidia, amd 2-in-1 from asrock site and some other drivers, it was again a box on my screen and no Nvidia driver installed. I tried to uninstall A-d driver, but mid-uninstall my system crashed and I force restarted it and it was ok. However, after another restart, it was not working. That continued until I succeeded to uninstall it, but after another restart, it was the same problem.

After this, I just did not touch my PC for 2-3 weeks because I had no time to screw around. I did several resets and re-installs of Windows. Right now, it did a CMOS reset and a fresh win 10 install. I tried to install a graphics driver, but it still not working.

Forgot to add, regularly, my system freezes at startup, even after a fresh install. In order to enter windows, I need to unplug my pc, hold the power button for 2 min and boot again.

I think the problem is in my mobo or in my GPU because it's an OEM from an Alienware x51 r2. So should I buy a new GPU or RMA my mobo?

Thank you.

Update 1: So I tried memtest86 with 10 passes and I've got 0 errors. What's my next move?
view

Solution

I don't think being a Dell OEM card would mean anything even when installed in a non-Dell system. Do you have any other graphics card at hand? If the 760ti is in fact the problem, swapping it with a working card should solve the problem.

KapJ1coH

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016

Is free version enough?

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018

Yes.

KapJ1coH

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016

My memory is ok. I just tried to install a gpu driver and it strangely worked... However, my system was constantly freezing. Is it because my gtx 760ti is a dell oem on a non-dell motherboard?

P.S. It did crash again, and my gpu driver is absent yet another time.

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018

I don't think being a Dell OEM card would mean anything even when installed in a non-Dell system. Do you have any other graphics card at hand? If the 760ti is in fact the problem, swapping it with a working card should solve the problem.

Solution

KapJ1coH

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016

Yes, my friend has a 1060 3gb, but I need to wait 2-3 days to get it for a test

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018

I would say that's the best option you have at the moment. Do remember that any card, even old ones, should work for testing though; if you are sure you do not have any, then asking your friend to lend you a card for testing would be your next step.

One more thing: you said your GPU driver dissapears? That's strange. Maybe Windows is interfering with the installed drivers somehow. While you're waiting for your friend's card, try disabling automatic Windows driver downloads, then installing the driver manually. Here's a guide on disabling driver downloads on Windows 10: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10.