New buiild around AMD X4 940

drseussman

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I'm looking to build a new gaming setup around the AMD Phenom II X4 940.

New to this so go easy on me. I'm looking to use some parts from the old system as well such as the memory and until I can afford new ones, graphics cards.

I'm pretty sure I want to stick with an Asus or Gigabyte MB and would prefer it support the crossfire as I'm running dual Radeon 1gb HD 4650's now.

Maybe I'm better off stating what I got and what I still need....

Currently:
Some cheapy mid tower case
OCZ 850 Watt PS
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4
AMD Phenom 8450 Triple Core 2.1 (stock fan)
8GB DDR2 (I think 800, I'm not gonna check)
2- Radeon HD 4650 1GB video cards
1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda

Not sure what else to add.

Thinking about a Cooler Master HAF 922 case
Already got the X4 940 quad
Buddy handed me a new in the box Ultra ChillTec cooler for the CPU though I'm reading mixed reviews on it and could easily go for something else if recommended.

BTW I'm running a dual boot sys right now with XP PRO 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit.

So I guess I need to know what MB and what else I need to consider.

Not sure that it matters but I also got an extra (one of those cheap ones that's failing on everyone but me so far) 1.5 TB Seagate Free Agent drive for storage.

Also, I got a wireless bridge I'm using so it would be important to note that the MB have a built in NIC.

I've got time on this as I want to have it built by mid August or early September.

Thanks for any and all help.

Lance

armi

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Get the infamous Antec 900! Its cheaper than the case you have selected. Also, are you going quad crossfire ever, by any chance?

Seagate's new HDDs aren't that good anymore. The safest bet would be to pick up a Western Digital one. If you start noticing any problems with your HDD, pick up the phone!

^+1 for the Antec 900 as it is cheaper and has a side window panel too...
But if that is not of much importance, then get the the CM 690 or even the Antec 300...

And as you want a gaming computer, you should certainly change that 4650 xfire setup of yours...
With the money saved on the case and with the money you get by selling those 4650s on ebay/ Craigslist, get the 4850 1GB for about $120...

As for the CPU cooler, get the Xigmatek S1283...check its reviews...

And you can reuse your mobo Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4...it supports the X4 940...

drseussman

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I checked on Gigabyte initially and just chose the CPU and then saw what motherboards that they listed and mine wasn't one of them. Thanks! After your comment I went back and chose the CPU support list while I was on the page that supported my board and it was listed! Again thanks to you both. I'm going to check out the Xigmatek and the CM690 as well as the Antec. Thank to you both!