Question New build – “Machine Check Exception” – Won’t load Windows

Jun 27, 2019
I’m trying to get a new pc build working. I have done this successfully twice before.

Initially I tried to transplant my old hard drive with Windows 10 installed to the new build using the “sysprep” tool.
Windows started to load, but hit a BSOD with the “Machine Check Exception” error. This is as far into booting I’ve been able to get so far before freezing and the only time “Machine Check Exception” has appeared.

I subsequently tried every combination of hardware I could think of combining old and new components and could only get to the initial Windows loading screening with the spinning dots before it would freeze.

Then I decided the problem must be with trying to use the old hard drive and Windows install. So, I tried doing a fresh Windows 10 install on a new SSD. Unfortunately, the result was exactly like before – booting from the USB stick the initial Windows loading screen appeared and froze after a few seconds.

Any ideas? Is this a “Machine Check Exception” hardware failure? I am able to get into UEFI/BIOS or whatever.
It should be noted, I very stupidly tried to install the old CPU (Intel Core i5-6600K) on my new board that only works with 8th or 9th generation CPUs. Perhaps that damaged the motherboard? They’re both LGA 1151. The old CPU still works fine.

Specs -

CPU – Intel i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W

Cooler Master CPU cooler

Motherboard – ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x, 8GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)

GPU - ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 DirectX 12 ROG-STRIX-RTX2070-8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0

Hard Drive - SAMSUNG 860 QVO 1 TB

Power Supply – ENERMAX REVOLUTION X't ERX630AWT 630W ATX12V 80 PLUS GOLD

WaltzWorker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Is all the connectors and parts correctly and securely plugged in? This shows up as a hardware error in google, some sites say CPU, while people posting say it could be something else. Double check connections and parts. Then try again. If not, then I would shut down for a couple of minutes then boot up into safe mode (F5 or F8) as soon as the bios screen goes away... If you've set the bios for any reason previously then resetting it to defaults may help.

Reactions: GlacialDrift