Question New Build ($1800-$2300) or Just a GPU Upgrade ($380)?

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Hello,
I am interested in upgrading my GPU or even get a new PC Build. I am still saving money if I am going to go with the entirely new build option, and in that case the purchase would happen no later than Black Friday sale.
So here goes:

Approximate Purchase Date: If GPU Upgrade (within a month, hopefully prices will come down a bit more here in EU) / New Build (within 2-3 months)

Budget Range: $380 for GPU / $1800-$2300 (New Build)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (I mostly play single player games, and a few e-sports titles), Image Editing (I use lighter programs, mostly GIMP , Inkscape and , lately - Affinity ), browsing and watching Youtube videos (my browser is open all of the time with so many tabs opened that I some times forget what I was watching)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No, if only GPU upgrade

Parts to Upgrade: GPU / New Build

Do you need to buy OS: No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
No Preference.

Parts Preferences: AMD because of my current monitor (if GPU upgrade is my best bet) / If New Build - AMD CPU. No parts with potential upgrade - everything must work great together as is it.
Overclocking: For the RAM maybe, but for the rest I'd prefer not to take my chances.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (my current monitor if GPU upgrade) / 2560x1440 (for a new build)

Additional Comments: Nothing much to say if I'll be going the GPU route - it seems RX 6600 would work better with my current PC, but am not sure if my current PSU would be enough to handle the addition of the GPU, Also, not sure how much the cirrent MOBO would hold back an RX 6600 or a higher GPU.

And, if entirely new build is my best option - I am looking for a clean build. I most definitely prefer a clean pc case with good cooling, I don't mind rgb for other parts but am not aiming for it. In this case, as I mentioned am looking for parts that will work great together as they are, so I can squeeze every bit from that new build - no parts with a potential to upgrade - I'll just get entirely new build when needed.
I do have parts in mind, so I will list them below, along with links to Pcpartpicker, so it'll be easier for you to check. Please, let me know what you think about the parts I've chosen and if I need something better. Are any of them overkill - can I save money? As for a GPU upgrade only - I mentioned the RX 6600 but feel free to suggest (and if this one is fine which model would be better).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am not quite happy with my current build. It was my first build and till that point I had no idea of how to build a pc or anything about pc parts. It ended up a bit ''weird'' - I first bought an apu, then I decided to replace it with the current CPU and GPU, which you will see is not the best combo either. I want a better performance in gaming - 4gb ain't cutting it for new games - I am not one that would aim for Ultra setting and am perfectly fine with 'high' or 'very high settings'. And I'd also want a better option when using image editing programs (no fancy programs as I mentioned them already) while browsing and have multiple Youtube tabs open. Not aiming for overkill but definitely something that would last me longer than 2-3 years.

All your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My Current PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black (2x8GB) 3000MHz CL16
Storage: Sandisk Ultra 3D (500GB), Samsung Evo (1TB)
GPU: Palit KalmX 4GB > potentially to upgrade to RX 6600
Case: Deepcool Kendomen
PSU: Seasonic S12II-520 520W Bronze
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV242YP

New Build
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB, Samsung 870 Evo 2TB
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB GAMING OC
PC Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 (the non ODD version)
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 850 W 80+ Gold
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ

Last edited:
I would go for this one.
New Build
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO-P

But with B550 M Steel Legend and a 6800XT Red Devil, much better models than the other ones.

Reactions: kubrat
Honestly, what I would do, scrap the new build. If you look, your motherboard probably has a bios update that will allow you to accept a 5000 series cpu.

I would say if you like go ahead and swap cases as well as upgrade ssd drives and the gpu. Then resell your old parts if you want to recoup some cash.

I’m in a similar situation. I’ve got a Ryzen 5 3600. 16gb of ram, a 240gb Samsung 960 evo nvme drive and 2 1tb sata ssd drives. Along with an 850 watt psu and a 6700xt on an old AsRock ab350 pro 4 motherboard. However my board will support upgrading to a ryzen 5000 series cpu. So personally I may sell my 3600 and go for a 5700x. I’d like a 5800x 3d, but that’s a lot of cash.

Honestly though the 3600 works pretty well with my 6700xt, so you might consider just starting with a gpu upgrade and you might find the 3600 has a lot more power than you realize. So I suggest staying there and work your way up.

Reactions: KyaraM and kubrat
Hello,
I am interested in upgrading my GPU or even get a new PC Build. I am still saving money if I am going to go with the entirely new build option, and in that case the purchase would happen no later than Black Friday sale.
So here goes:

Approximate Purchase Date: If GPU Upgrade (within a month, hopefully prices will come down a bit more here in EU) / New Build (within 2-3 months)

Budget Range: $380 for GPU / $1800-$2300 (New Build)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (I mostly play single player games, and a few e-sports titles), Image Editing (I use lighter programs, mostly GIMP , Inkscape and , lately - Affinity ), browsing and watching Youtube videos (my browser is open all of the time with so many tabs opened that I some times forget what I was watching)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No, if only GPU upgrade

Parts to Upgrade: GPU / New Build

Do you need to buy OS: No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
No Preference.

Parts Preferences: AMD because of my current monitor (if GPU upgrade is my best bet) / If New Build - AMD CPU. No parts with potential upgrade - everything must work great together as is it.
Overclocking: For the RAM maybe, but for the rest I'd prefer not to take my chances.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (my current monitor if GPU upgrade) / 2560x1440 (for a new build)

Additional Comments: Nothing much to say if I'll be going the GPU route - it seems RX 6600 would work better with my current PC, but am not sure if my current PSU would be enough to handle the addition of the GPU, Also, not sure how much the cirrent MOBO would hold back an RX 6600 or a higher GPU.

And, if entirely new build is my best option - I am looking for a clean build. I most definitely prefer a clean pc case with good cooling, I don't mind rgb for other parts but am not aiming for it. In this case, as I mentioned am looking for parts that will work great together as they are, so I can squeeze every bit from that new build - no parts with a potential to upgrade - I'll just get entirely new build when needed.
I do have parts in mind, so I will list them below, along with links to Pcpartpicker, so it'll be easier for you to check. Please, let me know what you think about the parts I've chosen and if I need something better. Are any of them overkill - can I save money? As for a GPU upgrade only - I mentioned the RX 6600 but feel free to suggest (and if this one is fine which model would be better).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am not quite happy with my current build. It was my first build and till that point I had no idea of how to build a pc or anything about pc parts. It ended up a bit ''weird'' - I first bought an apu, then I decided to replace it with the current CPU and GPU, which you will see is not the best combo either. I want a better performance in gaming - 4gb ain't cutting it for new games - I am not one that would aim for Ultra setting and am perfectly fine with 'high' or 'very high settings'. And I'd also want a better option when using image editing programs (no fancy programs as I mentioned them already) while browsing and have multiple Youtube tabs open. Not aiming for overkill but definitely something that would last me longer than 2-3 years.

All your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My Current PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3200 CL16 (2x8GB)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra 3D (500GB), Samsung Evo (1TB)
GPU: Palit KalmX 4GB > potentially to upgrade to RX 6600
Case: Deepcool Kendomen
PSU: Seasonic S12II-520 520W Bronze
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV242Y

New Build
What country are you located in seeing how Europe is a continent full of several countries with different VAT and vendors

Reactions: KyaraM

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
I would go for this one.
New Build

But with B550 M Steel Legend and a 6800XT Red Devil, much better models than the other ones.
Alright, taking a note. The motherboards are exact same price, so if the Steel Legend is the better option, then I'd go with it for a new build.

Thank you for the recommendations.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Honestly, what I would do, scrap the new build. If you look, your motherboard probably has a bios update that will allow you to accept a 5000 series cpu.

I would say if you like go ahead and swap cases as well as upgrade ssd drives and the gpu. Then resell your old parts if you want to recoup some cash.

I’m in a similar situation. I’ve got a Ryzen 5 3600. 16gb of ram, a 240gb Samsung 960 evo nvme drive and 2 1tb sata ssd drives. Along with an 850 watt psu and a 6700xt on an old AsRock ab350 pro 4 motherboard. However my board will support upgrading to a ryzen 5000 series cpu. So personally I may sell my 3600 and go for a 5700x. I’d like a 5800x 3d, but that’s a lot of cash.

Honestly though the 3600 works pretty well with my 6700xt, so you might consider just starting with a gpu upgrade and you might find the 3600 has a lot more power than you realize. So I suggest staying there and work your way up.
Heh, I briefly thought about this but after quickly making my calculations I decided to scratch that for several reasons:

1. How long will those upgrades last me and will it be worth it to resell parts and do a minor upgrade, before I need to do an entirely new build? At least for me, the only upgrade, that would be worth it is only the graphic card. How much is your motherboard holding back your GPU? Have you compared your current results with benchmarks that have a better motherboard?

2. I definitely want to keep the current GPU and the CPU (regardless of new build or not) - the KalmX is the best passively cooled so far and it actually does a pretty great job. Unfortunately, the memory is getting in the way of some titles I'd like to play. The Ryzen 5 3600, as you mentioned is pretty amazing, if not one of the best. Both are a novelty to me and worth keeping. Of course, I'm not keeping them just because of that, but also because I'd like to have something in hand, when I'm doing a new build, or after that - just spare parts. And what better than keeping these two novelties? :)

3. The case is ugly and I'd gladly get rid of it. However, it does a surprisingly excellent job with cooling and if I will be doing just an upgrade I don't see worth replacing it - it won't net me back much and the reason to sell it would be purely aesthetic (unless of course I get a brand new system).

4. Any storage data is not an option for me to sell. One, for security - there are some programs that recover user data and I'm not thrill about it. Also, the current SSDs are perfectly fine - so I will definitely keep using them, even add the Samsung EVO for a new build.

5. That leaves me with Motherboard, RAM and PSU. PSU can probably net $20-$30, if lucky (someone has a month old listing for it for $40 and can't sell it). However, I do have a spare Ryzen 3 2200G, so I could use the old parts to build a small pc for browsing, low demand games, etc.

Definitely appreciate your suggestion. I tried to go that route and, unfortunately, I can't make myself do it, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Last edited:
https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90853353
MSI MAG B660M BAZOOKA DDR4 €134,36 excl. VAT

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B660M-BAZOOKA-DDR4

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90853325
MSI MAG B660M Mortar DDR4 €142,06 excl. VAT

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B660M-MORTAR-DDR4

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90853515
Intel Core i7-12700F €312,61 excl. VAT

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2700f-processor-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

i7 12700 / 12700F gaming benchmarks.

i712700.jpg

Reactions: KyaraM
I looked up pcie 3.0 vs 4.0. As you can see the differences are very small on a 6800xt for example.

View: https://youtu.be/kNvoWrXEHdU

As far as motherboard holding you back, realistically even though ryzen is great you are building on a dead platform anyway so you won’t have a lot of upgrade options going forward. I’ve heard rumors they may keep am4 around for low end stuff but gamers will probably want the high powered gear I imagine. I see no reason you couldn’t get a new case etc. If you want to go new board that’s fine. Just be aware there’s supposed to be new gear coming out I think in September, so you may consider waiting.

Anyway totally up to you. I saw you want better gaming performance and said the current build was your first build and you weren’t really happy with it. I get it. An option to consider is go ahead and get your new case and power supply. Move your current board over along with your 3600. 16gb of ram isn’t bad really. Get a good gpu something like a 6700xt, 6800xt, rtx 3070 etc level or higher. If you want to go ahead and upgrade storage you could do that also. Then that saves money you’d have spent for a board and cpu. You might find you are pretty happy with it. But when new stuff comes out, you’ve probably saved a little more and can make the jump to socket am5 with ddr5 ram etc and you’ll have most of your other stuff.

Like I said personally my 3600 and the 6700xt does pretty well. Now I am on 1080p, because I’ve got a 27 inch 144hz monitor so I haven’t upgraded that yet but I do like the higher frame rate.

Edit: found another video from a year ago, they tested and said the 3600 can handle an rtx 3080. Might be worth a look. Usually for gaming your gpu is what will make a big difference if you have a decent cpu.

View: https://youtu.be/mrzqoeQVg4k

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM and kubrat

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
I looked up pcie 3.0 vs 4.0. As you can see the differences are very small on a 6800xt for example.

View: https://youtu.be/kNvoWrXEHdU

As far as motherboard holding you back, realistically even though ryzen is great you are building on a dead platform anyway so you won’t have a lot of upgrade options going forward. I’ve heard rumors they may keep am4 around for low end stuff but gamers will probably want the high powered gear I imagine. I see no reason you couldn’t get a new case etc. If you want to go new board that’s fine. Just be aware there’s supposed to be new gear coming out I think in September, so you may consider waiting.

Anyway totally up to you. I saw you want better gaming performance and said the current build was your first build and you weren’t really happy with it. I get it. An option to consider is go ahead and get your new case and power supply. Move your current board over along with your 3600. 16gb of ram isn’t bad really. Get a good gpu something like a 6700xt, 6800xt, rtx 3070 etc level or higher. If you want to go ahead and upgrade storage you could do that also. Then that saves money you’d have spent for a board and cpu. You might find you are pretty happy with it. But when new stuff comes out, you’ve probably saved a little more and can make the jump to socket am5 with ddr5 ram etc and you’ll have most of your other stuff.

Like I said personally my 3600 and the 6700xt does pretty well. Now I am on 1080p, because I’ve got a 27 inch 144hz monitor so I haven’t upgraded that yet but I do like the higher frame rate.

Edit: found another video from a year ago, they tested and said the 3600 can handle an rtx 3080. Might be worth a look. Usually for gaming your gpu is what will make a big difference if you have a decent cpu.

View: https://youtu.be/mrzqoeQVg4k

Thanks for the video links!

The thing is,(as I tried to explain) that if I go for an upgrade other than gpu it'll just make sense for an entire new build. I did check and am aware that the maximum pair I can do with Ryzen 5 3600 is with RX 6700 XT. However, that GPU would want a new PSU (I think that if I go with the 6600 I won't need to upgrade my current 520 watt power supply) and a new monitor . With the monitor I have 6700 XT won't be fully utilized, I think? So, basically I will have to upgrade more than half of my parts (including the monitor). That's why I am wondering between just a GPU upgrade or a new build

Pretty much, I don't want to upgrade parts every year or buy something that won't be fully utilized. I'd rather build something new that would last me the next 5 years - even for a dead platform that 5900x and 6800 xt is a high end combo, maybe not the top end but still...

As you said yourself - it's a dead platform - so I'd rather get a high end one :)
If I will be upgrading the GPU only I can't go with Nvidia because my current monitor is freesync only. Of course I don't mind AMD gpus.

New stuff is great but I doubt they'll sell for affordable prices. Gigabyte M27Q-X, for example is $450 on Newegg and here in Europe is $1200.

Anyway, I will look around and if 6700 xt won't be hold back by my current monitor I can go for it and a new PSU. I can get Corsair TX-M Series TX850M 850W Gold, as it's currently discounted. Though that discount won't matter much, compared to the great deal of $670 that 6700 xt goes for - I think the description in the retail store said that it comes out of the oven, freshly baked and sprinkled with gold but I may have to check again.

An RX 6600 is $371, btw.

Last edited:

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019

Thank you for the suggestions. Those seem like pretty good recommendations, though I'd really prefer and AMD CPU, as mentioned in my original post.

I'm in Bulgaria, so not big of a price difference from other parts of Europe. Though, in some countries may be just a little bit better but nothing decent.

KyaraM

Admirable

The thing is,(as I tried to explain) that if I go for an upgrade other than gpu it'll just make sense for an entire new build. I did check and am aware that the maximum pair I can do with Ryzen 5 3600 is with RX 6700 XT. However, that GPU would want a new PSU (I think that if I go with the 6600 I won't need to upgrade my current 520 watt power supply) and a new monitor . With the monitor I have 6700 XT won't be fully utilized, I think? So, basically I will have to upgrade more than half of my parts (including the monitor). That's why I am wondering between just a GPU upgrade or a new build

Pretty much, I don't want to upgrade parts every year or buy something that won't be fully utilized. I'd rather build something new that would last me the next 5 years - even for a dead platform that 5900x and 6800 xt is a high end combo, maybe not the top end but still...

As you said yourself - it's a dead platform - so I'd rather get a high end one :)
If I will be upgrading the GPU only I can't go with Nvidia because my current monitor is freesync only. Of course I don't mind AMD gpus.

New stuff is great but I doubt they'll sell for affordable prices. Gigabyte M27Q-X, for example is $450 on Newegg and here in Europe is $1200.

Anyway, I will look around and if 6700 xt won't be hold back by my current monitor I can go for it and a new PSU. I can get Corsair TX-M Series TX850M 850W Gold, as it's currently discounted. Though that discount won't matter much, compared to the great deal of $670 that 6700 xt goes for - I think the description in the retail store said that it comes out of the oven, freshly baked and sprinkled with gold but I may have to check again.

An RX 6600 is $371, btw.
What model is your current monitor? Many are actually G-Sync comparible. Sometimes that was implemented after the monitor was already sold, but works quite nicely.

KyaraM

Admirable
I've actually listed the model in my post - it's Acer Nitro XV242YP.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.QV2EE.P01
Says it's G-Sync comparible in the description. Like almost all modern monitors.

Edit: actually, the name and looking at the image rang a bell. Turns out I bought this monitor in 1440p and 27" in 2021. It definitely is G-Sync compatible, I use it all the time. It should be the same monitor outside the bigger screen and resolution. Can't see why they would make thwm different in only that one technical feature...
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/aw/d/B07JP65L76?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Last edited:

An RX 6600 is $371, btw.

Aha, you and I think a little differently then. I personally usually upgrade a bit at a time. But for a 1440p monitor the cpu won’t matter as much as resolution as the gpu will do more of the heavy lifting, so the way I understand is that as you increase resolutions your cpu is less important than gpu. You’ve got a 165hz 1440p monitor. You can go for an rx 6600, but that card is really more of a 1080p card. For 1440p you want to be in the ballpark of the 6700xt or 6800xt.

You said your current psu is a 520 watt, for a 6600 520 might be pushing the limit anyway. I have a Corsair rmx 850 watt and it does fine for my needs. It’s totally your decision and if you go with a better cpu, board and the 6600, compared to a 4gb card you’ll definitely see an improvement. But to game at 1440p, you might be better to spend on a better card and psu, then upgrade cpu later if desired.

Edit. Had another thought, keep in mind in the next year or so new gpus will be coming out, ask that rx 6600 today is basically going to be tomorrow’s rx 7500, the 6700xt will probably be closer to a 7600 and so on. So in the gpu you want as good as you can reasonably afford. Just thinking about the other side of the equation. Mainly you want your system balanced though.

Last edited:
Reactions: kubrat and KyaraM

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.QV2EE.P01
Says it's G-Sync comparible in the description. Like almost all modern monitors.

Edit: actually, the name and looking at the image rang a bell. Turns out I bought this monitor in 1440p and 27" in 2021. It definitely is G-Sync compatible, I use it all the time. It should be the same monitor outside the bigger screen and resolution. Can't see why they would make thwm different in only that one technical feature...
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/aw/d/B07JP65L76?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

You are linking a different model/name than what I've listed in this thread and in my reply to you.
It's a 1080p 165Hz monitor. All our retailers list is as AMD Free Sync.

The product name and model number as shown on the back of my monitor:
Model Name: XV242YPbmiiprx (Sometimes written as XV242YP or XV242Y_P around the retail stores)
Product Number: UM.QX2EE.P01

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/SI/content/model/UM.QX2EE.P01

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/XV242YP-Inches-Monitor-FreeSync-UM-QX2EE-P01/dp/B08CVSMD1N

Last edited:

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Aha, you and I think a little differently then. I personally usually upgrade a bit at a time. But for a 1440p monitor the cpu won’t matter as much as resolution as the gpu will do more of the heavy lifting, so the way I understand is that as you increase resolutions your cpu is less important than gpu. You’ve got a 165hz 1440p monitor. You can go for an rx 6600, but that card is really more of a 1080p card. For 1440p you want to be in the ballpark of the 6700xt or 6800xt.

You said your current psu is a 520 watt, for a 6600 520 might be pushing the limit anyway. I have a Corsair rmx 850 watt and it does fine for my needs. It’s totally your decision and if you go with a better cpu, board and the 6600, compared to a 4gb card you’ll definitely see an improvement. But to game at 1440p, you might be better to spend on a better card and psu, then upgrade cpu later if desired.

Edit. Had another thought, keep in mind in the next year or so new gpus will be coming out, ask that rx 6600 today is basically going to be tomorrow’s rx 7500, the 6700xt will probably be closer to a 7600 and so on. So in the gpu you want as good as you can reasonably afford. Just thinking about the other side of the equation. Mainly you want your system balanced though.
My current monitor is 1080p, 165Hz - it's listed under ''My Current PC''. The 1440p, 165Hz monitor is for a potential new build, if I go that road, and is listed under the ''New Build''

That's why the title includes GPU Upgrade/New Build. Because I am planning to do either.

For an upgrade I see 6600 as an upgrade option because anything higher would want more new parts, which then would mean that I will have to go with the ''New Build'' option and scratch the ''GPU Upgrade'' option, because anything above 6600 would make more sense for a new build, at least for me.

Although, it seems like 6700 xt might do great with my 1080p 165Hz monitor, so I could go somewhere in the middle - 6700 xt + new psu, as an upgrade for my current system. Still not liking this one but we'll see. As mentioned in my original post I don't plan to do gpu upgrade/new build any time soon.

Yeah, seems like 520 watt is pushing the limits

I'll be looking around and see how prices are by the end of the month. Or maybe even wait for the Black Friday sale. Maybe it will be a great time to build a new high end am4 pc,if retailers decide to do a huge discount and clear their space for the new gen.

What are you planning to do?

I think personally I will probably pick up 32gb of ram. Then if I do a cpu upgrade I may jump to a 5700x. Although my local Microcenter in the USA has the 5800x 3d in stock. So if I go that route I may save my old parts and then get a cheap case/board and put together another pc from those for my wife’s home office.

As others have suggested the reuse of current parts is doable like this;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: SanDisk Ultra 3D 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB DUAL OC V2 Video Card ($579.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA G5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: Acer Nitro XV242Y Pbmiiprx 23.8" Full HD(1920 x 1080)IPS Zero-Frame FreeSync Premium & G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor, Up to 165Hz Refresh Rate, Up to 0.5ms(1 x Display Port, 2 x HDMI 2.0 P (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1401.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-13 22:03 EDT-0400

If I were to build a new computer with the aforementioned budget I would do this;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor ($312.96 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB DUAL OC V2 Video Card ($579.99 @ Lenovo)
Power Supply: EVGA G5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1591.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-13 22:08 EDT-0400

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
As others have suggested the reuse of current parts is doable like this;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: SanDisk Ultra 3D 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Custom: Acer Nitro XV242Y Pbmiiprx 23.8" Full HD(1920 x 1080)IPS Zero-Frame FreeSync Premium & G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor, Up to 165Hz Refresh Rate, Up to 0.5ms(1 x Display Port, 2 x HDMI 2.0 P (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1401.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-13 22:03 EDT-0400
Interesting upgrade suggestion. Wouldn't that second RAM pair cause a problem?

At least, as far as I've learned is that RAM should be bought together for dual or quad channels, and not separately, even if the new pair is completely identical with the other pair. I've asked about that before (not here but on another forum) and I was told it's risky and that I should either buy another pair of better RAM or a set of 4 sticks that come together.

If I were to build a new computer with the aforementioned budget I would do this;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor ($312.96 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1591.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-13 22:08 EDT-0400

So, an Intel build with similar performance but cheaper? Even after I include the monitor from my ''New Build''.
What about the PSU? You are definitely not using that widely accepted ''formula'' of multiplying the calculated wattage by 1.5.

Would you share your thoughts on the CPU cooler? It definitely is cheaper and with similar stats but is louder than Noctua NH-U12A. However, it seems like Noctua NH-U9S (from my current build) has similar stats and it looks like it'll work well with the intel CPU. So, would Noctua NH-U9S work instead of Deepcool AK620?

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
I think personally I will probably pick up 32gb of ram. Then if I do a cpu upgrade I may jump to a 5700x. Although my local Microcenter in the USA has the 5800x 3d in stock. So if I go that route I may save my old parts and then get a cheap case/board and put together another pc from those for my wife’s home office.
Yeah, seems like now 16gb is the bare minimum and 32 is just right.
Wish we had something like Microcenter here but that would never happen, unless we have an European manufacturer for PC parts.

That would be nice to build a home office from the old parts. That's what I'm thinking of doing after I upgrade/build new system.

Not a bad idea at all. If you want to go for the newer system that will work fine. From when I searched your monitor it appeared to be 1440p. At 1080p though, an rx 6600, 6600xt or rtx 3060 or 3060ti should work fine if you plan to stay at 1080p. I was just offering some suggestions. So either way you have options as you can see. Depending on budget you could build with the 6600 and leave everything else as is and just swap the card later. Totally up to you.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Not a bad idea at all. If you want to go for the newer system that will work fine. From when I searched your monitor it appeared to be 1440p. At 1080p though, an rx 6600, 6600xt or rtx 3060 or 3060ti should work fine if you plan to stay at 1080p. I was just offering some suggestions. So either way you have options as you can see. Depending on budget you could build with the 6600 and leave everything else as is and just swap the card later. Totally up to you.
The 1440p is a part of the new build, so I'd definitely like to get a better monitor, though my current 1080p is about 6 months old.

I think I'm watching too many benchmarks videos and too many videos of so cold pc experts (who btw, have their own bias) which leads me even more confused and without a better understanding of PC parts. Though, I definitely improved a little bit from 3 years ago when I decided to build a pc.

Yeah, 6600 is viable option. And paired with 3600, (which is pretty amazing cpu) would probably last for quite some time before a new build. I don't mind the new gen and the new stuff but we both know that prices even for USA would be bad, when those are released, and even worse for EU. DDR5 RAM would be great but not within my pocket. And if I will be going for ddr5 RAM, then everything else should up to its performance. But, in the end who needs 4000-5000Mhz RAM, unless you are really going to utilize it - I am definitely not going to be able to.

The last AM4 gen is more than enough for me - Ryzen 5900x is pretty powerful for what I will be using it for. But maybe Ryzen 5 3600 will do just as fine with a better gpu. Honestly, I should stop watching all those benchmarks and go read an actual explanation of how PC parts work :)

KyaraM

Admirable
You are linking a different model/name than what I've listed in this thread and in my reply to you.
It's a 1080p 165Hz monitor. All our retailers list is as AMD Free Sync.

The product name and model number as shown on the back of my monitor:
Model Name: XV242YPbmiiprx (Sometimes written as XV242YP or XV242Y_P around the retail stores)
Product Number: UM.QX2EE.P01

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/SI/content/model/UM.QX2EE.P01

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/XV242YP-Inches-Monitor-FreeSync-UM-QX2EE-P01/dp/B08CVSMD1N
And I told it's the same product line as my own monitor, the Nitro XV272UP, which most definitely is G-sync compatible. They have the same technical basics. Amazon even links you to your monitor if you switch from my 1440p to 1080p. Those monitors only differ in size and panel, the rest is identical. Your monitor is G-Sync compatible through adaptive sync.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
And I told it's the same product line as my own monitor, the Nitro XV272UP, which most definitely is G-sync compatible. They have the same technical basics. Amazon even links you to your monitor if you switch from my 1440p to 1080p. Those monitors only differ in size and panel, the rest is identical. Your monitor is G-Sync compatible through adaptive sync.
Well, should've started with that. I obviously am unaware of adaptive sync, otherwise I wouldn't have kept insisting on my monitor being Free Sync only.

There's no indication on G-Sync compatibility/Adaptive Sync enabling that for the monitor. It would've been nice if something like that was mention, unless I've missed that when reading the specs.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know. I will have to read about Adaptive Sync.