New build. 2 harddrives, 2 different OS

panner

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Hello,
My old comp took a dump. I was on WinXP. I just ordered parts for a new build and I'll be upgrading to WIN 7 on a new hard drive. Is it possible for me too hook up the HDD with XP on this new build to recover information onto a thumbdrive and then install the new HDD with WIN 7?

My concern is, will booting up the WINXP HDD first mess with the settings in the MOBO bios when I install the new HDD with WIN 7?

Ive built 2 comps in the last 20 years and Ive never had to upgrade the OS, so I dont know what to expect. Any insight into this subject is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for the answers. Apologies if this isn't posted in the correct forum

panner

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks outlander_04.
Something I forgot to mention, although I'm pretty sure it shouldn't matter, but my old HDD is a 3GB/s, and the new HDD is 6GB/3. after i install the old HDD, i just boot into WIN 7 and I should be able to see the other HDD and access it by going to "my computer?"

Does the old HDD need to be installed as a slave and the new one as master, or is that not needed these days? Its been a long time since I've dealt with this kinda stuff. Thanks again