[SOLVED] New build - 2 NVMe failures in under 24 hours

Aug 18, 2019
Just built a new computer. As I was installing the OS it froze. Sat at the install screen for hours. I rebooted the computer. Now when I went to install the OS, the installer didn't detect the drive. Went into BIOS, the drive wasn't there either. OK, I figure the drive is just a dud and that's why the install failed. So I go back to the store and exchange it for a new one. This one installs fine. I update drivers, install VSCode,stream, etc. Everything is going great. Set up some games to download on steam and go to bed.

Next morning I go to the computer and nothing comes up. Just a blue screen with nothing on it. NOT a BSOD. Reboot and there is no boot drive. Drive not detected in BIOS.

tl;dr Brand new computer had 2 NVMe drives fail within 24 hours. Besides this the computer is working fine in a live ubuntu.

So did I do something wrong installing everything? In the set up?
Is it possible that I got 2 duds? How likely is that?
Is the motherboard/PSU/CPU somehow killing drives?
Cheap case making a short or something when I press reset?

Specs:
  • ASRock B450m PRO4
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3400g
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)
  • Lexar NM600 PCIe M.2 240GB
  • OCZ Fatal1ty 550W 80+ Certified
  • Windows 10 Home

Solution
Maybe odd riple values may damage the drives so why i looked at the psu. And yes through the motherboard which may be better equiped to still deal with it.

Other option might be that you got two duds and that Lexar (quite unknown to me) doesn't do very well in the quality department. So maybe a Samsung drive might do better as suggested above by alexoiu.
Aug 18, 2019
At this point, that's what I'm going to do unless someone points out that there's some sort of common 'gotcha' that I'm missing.

I'd prefer to not have to burn through three drives just to have someone tell me later that a bad PSU can kill NVMe drives when old mechanical drives would have been fine, or that I need to change some random bios setting or something something, ya know?

Aug 18, 2019
Can a faulty PSU cause drives to fail? I know the general rule of thumb is that weird hardware problems is generally the power supply at fault, but this isn't even connected to power directly.

Problem with the power supply being passed through the motherboard to the nvme while leaving the board fine?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe odd riple values may damage the drives so why i looked at the psu. And yes through the motherboard which may be better equiped to still deal with it.

Other option might be that you got two duds and that Lexar (quite unknown to me) doesn't do very well in the quality department. So maybe a Samsung drive might do better as suggested above by alexoiu.

Solution