Question New build 3800x hot on idle?

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
CPU: 3800x (stock cooler - Wraith Prism)
MOBO: Crosshair VIII Hero
PSU: RM750 (Corsair)
RAM/Memory:2x 16GB G-SKILL Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
GPU: 1050TI strix
Case: NZXT H710i
Fans: 3x ll120 RGB Corsair and stock fans with case (4 NZXT fans, 3x120 1x140)

I have all fans on 100% all the time. Yes, its quite loud :D and the bearing will give up sooner, but i am cool 🆒.
With all this air flow I still IDLE at, what I assume is, high temps. It also jumps sporadically. Whilst writing this, only 3 other chrome tabs open, the CPU has gone between 43-55 degrees.
This can't be usual?
FYI the MOBO and CPU were a bundle so cam pre built....I know, but, it was cheaper and I am a sucker for a deal.

Thanks.

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
Oh ok great. Thanks, just wanted to sanity check. When do I worry. When should start paying close attention, when should I stop what I am doing and close the pc down? Just want some guidance for this CPU.
Thanks

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
Update.

I am getting spikes of just under 70c at idle (4%CPU usage)

Do I have an issue?
Bad silicon?
Not enough thermal paste?
The MOBO and CPU were a bundle and pre-assembled.

Thanks

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
Update: I have not got round to doing this yet. Given the currently climate I am working from home and struggling to find the time.

Last night, whilst doing some VERY light video editing I got these figures on HWmonitor
https://ibb.co/vjdFgRd

What got me worried was the vast difference in, what I imagine is, the different cores usage. Also the reliable voltage. As far as I understand it, if that table has a '1' its 'peak', is that right, is this normal? I have actually contacted the seller over 3 times with no response, been over a month.

When I noticed longer than expected loading/buffering times I started to monitor the CPU usage. I started doing tasks that would cause much higher stress and the it peaked at 40% for....a second, then sat 28-35.

Thanks again guys

TRENDING THREADS