New build 3k range

amunca15555

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Looking to fuly replace an aging system that has an i7 3770k, 32GB RAM, 512GB 840 Pro SSD, 4TB HDD and a GTX 1070

I'll admit up front that it can still play what I play without much trouble, but it just feels time for an upgrade to me. I've been looking at it the past couple CPU generations releases.
Probably will hold out for 10nm whenever that comes around (hopefully thats only a year or little more away)
So just want some opinion on my proposal with currently available parts to plan accordingly at the time (or pull the trigger now)

Most of the games I play regularily are older and not extremely demanding and I only currently have a 1080p monitor.
That being said, I do like maxing most things out and do try all sorts of games I find interesting once they have a fire sale on Steam.

And I have a strong interest in VR so want this to handle that in the future too without major overhauling.

Other than games, I run Visual Studio on it for work, run a TV tuner and DVR on it, Video transcoding.

I'd like USB C on the front panel but that doesn't seem to have many options quite yet still.
Thunderbolt would be nice which seems to require an extra addon card

Current first draft of parts:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3mjg4q

Thanks for any suggestions, comments, or opinions

inanition02

Distinguished
Awesome build - tacking on a 4k monitor too? Would you want more room in overhead on the PSU in case you want to overclock or add another GPU?

Make sure you get the version of the R6 case that has USB-C on the front - some have it and some versions don't. I think the one you selected doesn't.

amunca15555

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Thanks for the heads up on the R6's type C. Would that PSU not be enough for Overclocking? I don't think I'd add a second GPU.
Do you have a recommendation on a monitor? My current is a Samsung 23" LED and don't think I'd go smaller but I don't really keep up on monitors enough to know what to look for.

ohenryy

Honorable
The PSU is not that great, I would recommend going for a Seasonic. Besides the PSU asus Z390 lineup are pretty weak, they messed up on the VRM side of things.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tnPYq4
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tnPYq4/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($409.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i 104.65 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Taichi Ultimate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($288.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($377.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($839.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 USB-C Blackout - TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($184.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG - BH12LS35 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Case Fan: Fractal Design - HF14-BK 118.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($16.13 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - HF14-BK 118.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($16.13 @ Amazon)
Total: $3023.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-20 03:19 EST-0500

inanition02

Distinguished
I've used the Corsairs before with no issue, though as is pointed out, Seasonic is a better brand.

I think you probably want to go with a higher wattage if you want to OC or add anything - PCPartsPicker estimates this at 400W+ required without OC. You don't want to push PSUs close to their ceiling as they tend to get less efficient and especially as they get a couple years older you can run into issues.

I'm a multiple monitor person, so instead of a 4K view, I have 3x FHDs. But I love Samsung monitors...

amunca15555

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Thanks for the heads up on the Asus mobos, they're the only ones I've used in the past but I like the 10gE on the board you posted (even if it might not be utilized for the life of the system)