Question New build (4 months) and lots of Windows Stop codes

Apr 23, 2019
Having a problem with a build I have. I am about ready to trash it, but the single most critical application in the world is Wifey email and FB, so I am under that gun to figure this out and get it up and running.

I have:
ROB Strix B350-F MB
Corsair DDR4 2133Mhz 2x8
Ryzen 5 2600
Seagate 1 TB drive
WD 1 TB drive
Samsung NVme 500g SSD/Crucial NVme 1TB SSD
GeForce G7x 550 Ti video card

This is a fairly recent build completed in December. In December I purchased Win 10 and loaded onto the SSD (Crucial) and all was working great and very fast until...Sunday when I started getting random Windows Stop codes. I probably received 10 different errors all followed by a reboot. My logon could not do anything in Windows including using the task bar. Anytime I tried opening anything (Edge, Chrome browser, email, etc.) would result in a non repeating stop code. I tried the Win 10 boot disk and every combination of repair, image restore, startup repair... all came back with messages (i can't remember the exact messages) that it was not possible. I went to the Windows recovery environment and at the cmd prompt did Bootrec/Fixmbr, Fixboot, and rebuildBcd. Multiple times it would boot and then start to bring up Windows and reboot after the stopcode. I tried just about everything i could think of and at this point was suspicious of the Crucial SSD, that was newly purchased in December. I came to this conclusion as I ended up going down the path of trying to do a new Win 10 install on the Crucial SSD (after blowing away the partitions that contained Win 10) and doing a fresh install....only to start receiving stop codes about 4-10% thru the copying of the Windows files. I also thought it was the SSD because on the BIOS, the M.2 slot did not have the SSD listed (it says N/A next to it), but I could see the SSD in the BIOS boot sequence.

So, while cussing Crucial, I ordered another SSD (Samsung), received it today, installed it...only to start receiving stop codes while doing the fresh Windows 10 install.

At this point, I went in and reset my MB options in the BIOS to default, and tried again, only to receive another stop code. I then downloaded the latest BIOS and did an update. Same thing, I got to 14% and stop code (they are always different).

So, I am thinking MB, but how can I make sure before i drop another $125 on another MB?

At this point I am at a loss and out of ideas. The FB police are breathing heavy. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Apr 23, 2019
I had forgotten about disconnecting the drives when installing Win10.

I did two attempted installations back to back, the first time got to 20% on the 'Getting files ready for installation' and then received a 'DPC Watch Dog Violation'. Second time, got to 1% and a 'Kernal Security Check failure'.

Hazzahead

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
I am 90% sure this is a faulty RAM stick. It happened to me a few days ago and I returned the RAM to my retailer and got a fresh kit. Reseat and test your RAM modules to see if any of them are faulty.

Apr 23, 2019
Hazz and Game,

I think you are on the right track. I originally reseated the memory when i had the problem a couple days ago, but i did not isolate and try to boot with one stick.

I just did that and one looks bad for sure. Or at least I think it is. I could install/setup/run Windows with one of the sticks, the other...completely dead and can not even get to the BIOS with it in the first mem slot. So I am now back up and running, but...

So i started looking at the memory which is actually 2x8 16G, 3000mhz. Above in my system specs i listed 2133 2x8...which is incorrect. I have 16G memory sticks and it looks like the BIOS did a auto detect incorrectly or something funky. I went in and manually adjusted the BIOS to reflect the speed and the voltage which was also off. I have never had to do this before, so I assume this is OK.

But it still says 8092m on the bios, even though it's 16gb memory. While researching and then looking at the ASUS MB manual, it has a statement that says 'Due to AMD Ryzen limitation, more than DDR4 2666 is supported by one DIM per channel only'. I am not sure I understand what that means.

This is getting a little over my head, but does this apply to the memory i purchased (DDR4-3000)? Is this why the BIOS only shows 8gb when the Mem stick is actually 16gb.