Build Advice New build 9900k, Corsair H150i PRO LC, but still 55-60c loaded

Feb 25, 2019
I just built a ground up Computer but it still seems to be running hot to me.
Corsair 450D high airflow mid tower case, Corsair RM750X PS, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming MB,
Intel 9900k Coffee Lake, Corsair Vengance 3600 X32g, Corsair H150i-PRO LC. 3X140mm intake, Exhaust through Cooler 3X120mm.
Unloaded 27-31c, Loaded 53-61c with Ambient not over 32c

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
I don’t think your cpu is running that hot. I have the 9900k with Corsair h115 platinum cooler (2x140mm fans) as top exhaust and my temps are usually about 68 maximum. Unloaded temp is about the same as yours.

Feb 25, 2019
Thank you so much for the info, I used Arctic Silver 5, but I have ordered Mx4 to try. I just don't like to see 60+ in the maxes on a new one, makes me think I did something wrong.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If your ambient temp is 32 C (89.7 F), you are already dealing with a warm environment...that's most of the cause.

Air and liquid cooling have a set 'delta' from ambient that these coolers are able to effectively cool from. You cannot expect to have a very warm room (32 C) but also expect your cooler to perform really well and provide very cool temps.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yup, that's a very high ambient temperature. Even 28 is quite high, given that normal room temperature is usually expressed at 70-72F or somewhere in the 22C range. My basement office is 15C year-round, so I obviously have more room to work with (it's one of the reasons I don't bother with custom loops for cooling).

Feb 25, 2019
You guys were right, set Thermostat to 23.9c and it maxes under load well (as much as I can load it) to 60c and I get a 7c differential between intake and exhaust, perfect as far as I am concerned.
Thank you all for you information. Btw I am running a PNY 1070ti GPU, not the best, but expensive when I bought it a year ago 750.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. AS5 is solidly mediocre. Right in the middle between liquid metals and toothpaste. MX-4 will drop you maybe 1-2°C at best. And only at loads. Tims like Noctua NT-H1, Gelid Extreme 3, Phanteks, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut are slightly better, you might see 3-4°C, but mainly those pastes are chosen for ease of use more than actual performance (except for benchmark chasers). Those pastes do not have a cure time, do not dry out and consequently never need repaste if done right. AS5 does have a cure time, roughly 200 heat cycles, that's from cold to very hot and back. Then it's dry. No worries. Pastes do not transfer heat, they are only the medium that holds the silicates, diamond dust, minerals etc that do transfer heat. So a dry paste works just the same as a wet paste. Until you break that seal. Can be a slight bump, vibrations, bounce the heatsink, move the heatsink while cleaning the fan. Doesn't take much. Almost exactly like hot-glue, works great until you break the seal, then it will never stick back. That's when temps go nuts and you need to repaste. For the average user, that's @ every 2 years or so, for heavy users with fastidious cleaning habits it can be every 6 months to a year. It's the only real bad part about AS5, once it cures, do not touch/bounce/vibrate the heatsink, and the bigger/heavier the heatsink, easier it is to mess up and break that seal.

Feb 25, 2019
Great news, I am not sure I got enough on the back of the CPU when I installed the jacket and it's only been a few days. I will clean it and try the Mx4 since I already ordered it. I have to re-install the heatsink on my Core i5 anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Feb 25, 2019
Been a few days since I worked on it and two hundred dollars later I found out a few things, the fans that come with the coolers and cases are trash.
I saved them for a mediocre build, bought top o the line PWM, mag-lev 2500 rpm fans in push-pull on exhaust yes (6) and a controller for the board I am running, when the cpu hits 60c the fans are set for 70% and tried AS-Ceramique2 for the heat sync.
11 fans total in case, MB reads 26 max on NB and SB 28 on mem socket and 31 on top of cpu socket. Idle is 27-31 and loaded for 8 hours straight is 58-61. 3D Benchmarked at 65c. Thank you guys for all your help. Yes the Premium fans can run at 40-60% rpm and make very little noise but push more air than the regular fans at maximum rpm. I ran the same 3D Benchmark with all fans on maximum at 20c ambient and all the temps got to was 55c max. it ran 78c during first test but I had a higher ambient, mediocre fans and AS-5 thermal paste.

Last edited:

pdegan2814

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
I just built a ground up Computer but it still seems to be running hot to me.
Corsair 450D high airflow mid tower case, Corsair RM750X PS, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming MB,
Intel 9900k Coffee Lake, Corsair Vengance 3600 X32g, Corsair H150i-PRO LC. 3X140mm intake, Exhaust through Cooler 3X120mm.
Unloaded 27-31c, Loaded 53-61c with Ambient not over 32c

I gotta ask, did you have much trouble getting the H150i Pro installed in the 450D? I've heard conflicting reports about whether it fits properly. Specifically:

* Which way did you mount the radiator, with the end that had the hoses in the back, or up front in the 5.25" drive bay area?(I don't have any 5.25" drives installed, but I don't know if the hoses reach far enough to install it that way)

* Does the H150i block installation of a rear 120mm fan?

* Your spec list mentions 3x140mm fans for intake, but that doesn't make sense to me. The 450D has room for 2x140mm fans in the front, but the back can only hold 1x120mm. The only other spots for 140mm fans are on top, but that's where the H150i Pro would go. So would you mind replying with the complete fan setup that you have?