[SOLVED] New Build - 9900K - Need advice to make this better

dozerking

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Happy Weekend all, i'm about to pull the trigger but wanted to see if the community had any suggestions on making this a better build.

This will primarily be used for gaming, as i'm upgrading from my ol' 2500k intel system that's long overdue. I loved this build but it's getting long in the tooth.

I already have a an EVGA 1080 FTW and a 30" 4k monitor I plan to use, along with several SSD harddrives. I'll probably upgrade the GPU next year.

Here it is, running about $1400.00 bucks for my upgrade cost:

Processor: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Fan: CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory - (CAS of 14)

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA T2 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

CASE: Cooler Master - Stryker SE ATX Full Tower Case

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dozerking/saved/cxK6sY

Thanks all for any and all input.

Solution
First of all, you will game just as well with a less expensive i7-9700K or I5-9600K.
They will run at 5.0 as well as the 9900K.
The question is how many threads can you effectively use?
Few games are going to make good use of more than the 4 threads you have now.
I would think 6 for the 9600K or 8 for the 9700K is more than enough.

The cryorig c7 is a relatively puny cooler; not at all suitable for any of the 9th gen K processors.
My favorite for any of those processors would be $85 Noctua NH-D15s.
If you used a 9600k, a NH-U12s might suffice.

In all other respects, your build is good.
First of all, you will game just as well with a less expensive i7-9700K or I5-9600K.

The cryorig c7 is a relatively puny cooler; not at all suitable for any of the 9th gen K processors.

Solution

dozerking

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007

The cooler is definitely something i was concerned about. I'll check out that Noctua for sure.

I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and figured I'd splurge, but not set on anything. Really, just looking to keep this setup and just upgrade GPU's over the next 8 years or so.

Thanks Geofelt.

dozerking

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Would look into gigabyte Z390's line up, better than asus this time. Or even Taichi.

Yeah, i've decided to go with the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro. I don't do a ton of overclocking, so figured the Pro would be sufficient. Not sure if the Ultra or Master models are worth getting? I see they have a wifi option too, but i'd use ethernet for my rig.

Also, i'm gonna go with a 9700K in lieu of the 9900K, just doesn't seem worth the extra money at this point. Some people have suggested even going with an 8700K.

dozerking

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Good plan; I like the 9700K option.
FWIW.. The 9600K is essentially the same chip as the 9600K except that the 9600K has a soldered heat spreader and will run cooler than the 8600K and allow a better overclock.

Gotcha. What are you thoughts on using a Corsair Hydro H150i to cool the 9700K or 9600K?

I'm also upgrading the Case and going with the Cooler Master Mastercase H500m.

With the money saved from the 9900K and pricier Asus Mobos, wanted to put some of it back.

I like the Cooler Master Mastercase H500m
It has plenty of fresh air intake for a good air cooler.

I would never go liquid cooling when a good air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s can be used.
It will cool just as well as any aio in that case, be easier to install, cost half as much, require no maintenance, be quieter.
and...It will not leak.

Understood. I'm going with a Noctua NH-D15.

Thanks for your time geofelt, much appreciated. I'm gonna pull the trigger on this build today.

The NH-D15 is an excellent cooler.
The difference with the NH-D15s is that the s variant has no problem with tall ram heat spreaders like the trident Z ram.
The NH-D15s is also offset a touch to clear graphics card backplates.
I do not know if this may be an issue with your motherboard.