new build accessing old hard drive

PCPower90000

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I am building a new monster PC this weekend and I am backing up my files from my old Seagate Ultra ATA/100 drive with xp 32 bit installed on it to my old Dell but some of the folders are up to 45GB large like my valve folder. It would be nice to have a second hard drive and be able to access these old file without backing them up. In the past I thought about setting up a raid setup but I think my you have to have identical drives.

The new system will have

Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB SATA(have window ultimate 64-bit installed)
Asus p5e3 Premium Wifi
QX 9770 3.2ghz
4gb Corsair Dominator Dual Channel
two Radeon 4870 x2
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 watt power supply
Pioneer DVD

Could I setup the two hard drives in this system with this power supply?

Can the Seagate and VelociRaptor be connected into the two of the serial ATA connectors for the standard IDE mode SATA 1/2/5 and then would be primary in the BIOS and some how access the files on the old drive as a the slave?

niiif

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
That PSU will handle 99% of most high-end setups and in your specific case it should be able to handle them easily. I have a 1000W Xigmatek powering tri-sli GTX 280s, RAID 0 velociraptors, and the remaining power handling some other hardware adding up to ~200W. Yes, you should be able to configure the new HDs to stand master to your old drive via the drive setup following POST. Yes you need to connect it all properly, but thats usually the easy part.

PCPower90000

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
It looks like i have to get a new DVD rom with a serial ATA connector because the Pioneer only has a 40-pin IDE connector and just have that and the Velociraptor on the 7-pin SATA connectors on the motherboard.

Is there some way to connect the Velociraptor using standard IDE cables?

Would it reduce the data transfer speed if it was on a standard IDE connector instead of a SATA connector in standard IDE mode?