[SOLVED] New Build Advice Budget Build (~$500) Home Office Basics

IronPilot

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Approximate Purchase Date: Cyber Monday

Budget Range: (500-700) After Rebates, Before Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Home office tasks, photo editing and storage, possibly light gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, but doesn't count towards budget

Do you need to buy OS: No

Parts Preferences: AMD or Intel, whatever works!

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No - I'm leaning towards onboard graphics with an option to add a GPU later

Your Monitor Resolution: I'll take any suggestions, looking for a 24"-ish size

Additional Comments: My iMac died after years of faithful service and I've decided to replace it with a Windows machine. Primarily for office tasks (browsing, scanning docs, small scale spreadsheetery, etc) and editing and archiving photos. I'm thinking a small SSD for the OS and a larger physical drive for storage with the option to add additional HDD later.

Wifi is necessary, no ethernet nearby

Thanks in advance for any help you brilliant people can offer!

Solution

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Home office tasks, photo editing and storage, possibly light gaming

SLI or Crossfire: No - I'm leaning towards onboard graphics with an option to add a GPU later

Additional Comments: My iMac died after years of faithful service and I've decided to replace it with a Windows machine. Primarily for office tasks (browsing, scanning docs...

Additional Comments: My iMac died after years of faithful service and I've decided to replace it with a Windows machine. Primarily for office tasks (browsing, scanning docs, small scale spreadsheetery, etc) and editing and archiving photos. I'm thinking a small SSD for the OS and a larger physical drive for storage with the option to add additional HDD later.

Wifi is necessary, no ethernet nearby

Thanks in advance for any help you brilliant people can offer!
If you want integrated graphics, I'd say go Intel. Ryzen iGPUs are good. For gaming. For office stuff you don't need that (unless for photo editing, I think that's done with CPU though)

Now since you are probably going to use it for years again. I'd say i5-10400. A B460 board with WiFi, anything will work, make sure it has 4 RAM Slots and 8 pin CPU power connector (top left)

RAM, 3000mhz 8×2 CL16

Cooler and you'll need this definitely, Freezer 34, Hyper 212 RGB, or NH-U12S Chromax

WD Blue Nvme 250GB SSD, + Seagate barracuda 1TB HDD (or wd blue HDD, whichever)

Corsair CX550 PSU, because you plan to put in a GPU. This should be enough for upto an RTX 2060.

Case - really depends on you. Do you want RGB spamming? Mesh for great airflow and temperature? Or glass for looks? Quietness? Small form factor? Or you just don't care?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dYhfmk

And for monitor, I guess you're not gaming? Or do you still want 144Hz? If you do I unko the Acer VG240YP is a good budget option. Or the AOC 24G2. Both IPS 24" 144hz 1080p.

However this will NOT be good for any games really. Maybe 1080p low

If you want some gaming potential, keep everything the same. Switch motherboard and CPU, Ryzen 5 3400G and MSI B450M Pro VDH Max.

Edit - I accidentally put in a 10400F instead of a regular 10400. The F version does NOT have an iGPU, meaning no display without a dedicated GPU

Last edited:
Solution

IronPilot

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Thanks for the build advice! So, 0ne question if you've got a sec...
- If I were to switch to the AMD, would the cooler still be necessary, and if so, is there a better cooler for AMD CPUs? The Parts Picker showed a possible physical space issue and a requirement for an adapter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the build advice! So, 0ne question if you've got a sec...
- If I were to switch to the AMD, would the cooler still be necessary, and if so, is there a better cooler for AMD CPUs? The Parts Picker showed a possible physical space issue and a requirement for an adapter.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B460M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($125.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $508.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-30 12:15 EST-0500

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
This
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B460M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($125.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $508.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-30 12:15 EST-0500
Is good but i suggest 6 core in 2020