New build advice, did I forget anything? Or do I need to change anything? Gaming/video

THE FOG

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I'm planning on buying the components on Wednesday the 4th. Due to a surge that cooked my 775 socket motherboard about 2 years ago. EVGA 780i, q9550 overclocked. I've been using my backup ECS and 64x2 5000.

Ok now onto the new build for gaming and video streaming and editing from my drift HD Ghost.
I plan on installing windows 7 pro and doing the 8.1 upgrade. Have a mouse, keyboard, etc.
My budget was about $1200 but I'm already over that and am working a little more overtime. New budget $2000 trying to stay around $1600.

I'm going to buy my parts at micro center at the Richardson/Dallas Texas store. USA

The build: Intel 4790K, ASUS VII HERO, Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866 cl9, EVGA Supernova 850g2, Samsung 850 EVO 250gb, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked, Coolermaster Seidon 240m CPU water cooling kit, and a Thermaltake Core X9.
I plan on overclocking.
The more I read reviews the more paranoid I get. Is that gonna be the right choice for the video card and motherboard?
I've built a EVGA, Gigabyte, and ASUS. Now I'm second guessing on the motherboard, ASUS or Gigabyte?
Video card which brand?
Should I stick with the 970? reviews say it rocks, but another $200 980? maybe but is it that much better?

Gigabyte has the Black Edition that you can upgrade in 3 years....hmmmm?

I don't know if the X99 be worth the performance I'm hoping to get. I don't plan on going SLI and if I do it will be later on.
I'm hoping this build will last for 3-4 years?

So is this a good build or what could I change to make it better?

Thanks in advance

Solution
I would recommend to stay with the GTX 970, unless you going to be using a high-end screen which in that case you should probably get a 980, but if you are going for 1080 or 1440 you should be fine. I'm currently building my desktop and I am going to use a MSI H97 GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard which is a quite nice board, but Gigabyte or Asus should be fine.

TeddyHolappa

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Asus is the best option if you want to get into overclocking. EVGA cards are fantastic and you can't go wrong with the 970. I wouldn't recommend getting the gtx 980 unless you are going above 1440p or looking for a surround setup. A 970 can play all the latest games at 1440p on max settings at 60hz. However if you want your graphics card to last you more than 3 years, I would look into the 980 because games will get more and more demanding. X99 is only for the enthusiast with buckets of money. You don't get much more perfomance, you just get more cores and PCIE lanes: It isn't necessary. It looks like a great build!!

Chass1990

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Asus for sure for the motherboard. For the 970, the most popular is Gigabyte's Windforce, MSI's Gaming, and Asus' Strix. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. 970 vs 980 will depend on what resolution you want to play at. The only thing I see missing from what you've listed is a HDD, unless you plan to live with 250 GB SSD only.

THE FOG

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Thanks. I've got a WD blue 1tb new in the box I was going to use for my wife's computer. Would that be ok for this build? Or what do you recommend? I have 2 500gb externals I use for pictures, videos, and backing up some files.
Which 970 would be best from Micro Center @ the Richardson/Dallas store?

Chass1990

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
WD blue is solid. Go for that. As I mentioned, you can't really go wrong with one of the three (the only exception would be that Gigabyte's version is longer, so you have to make sure it will fit your case). I say go to Micro center and just get whichever of the above is available or cheapest if you don't have any preference.

Shadownover

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I would recommend to stay with the GTX 970, unless you going to be using a high-end screen which in that case you should probably get a 980, but if you are going for 1080 or 1440 you should be fine. I'm currently building my desktop and I am going to use a MSI H97 GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard which is a quite nice board, but Gigabyte or Asus should be fine.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS