[New Build] Advice on a budget machine

ximfinity

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: asap

Budget Range: trying to stay as low as possible but willing to splurge if the benefit outweighs the cost.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Moderate Gaming, Watching videos, Java, Minecraft(why I want single core clock speed over multi-core)

Parts Not Required: 1Gb Evga GTS 250, Ultra 550W power supply, 2 TB WD Green Drive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Microcenter.com (in-store pickup)

Country of Origin: USA (VA/DC)

Parts Preferences: AMD, 1Gb Evga GTS 250 (already own)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Not now, future crossfire with new video card/mobo.

Monitor Resolution:1680x1050

Additional Comments: Something quiet and reliable, looking to unlock the X2 to a X4 and slight OC on the chip but stay cool.

Case: Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case

CPU/Mobo Combo: Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Boxed Processor / 785GM-P45 AM3 785G mATX Motherboard

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler

RAM: 4 x G Series 'Sector 5' edition 2GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL9 ( I might just get 4GB worth but I would rather just buy this ahead of time as I have had a hard time buying matching ram at a later date)

SSD: 64GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 2.5" G2 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) With SandForce 1222 Controller (will i need to buy a 2.5"-> 3.5" Adapter?)

Please let me know if I'm doing anything stupid with this configuration, but the total cost of the build comes out to be approximately:

$384.24 after Rebates and tax

Update: Thanks for the replies I purchased as listed above. took the ram down to 4Gb for now and might mix in some more ram at a later date.

That MB + CPU combo is a solid setup. Have built a few of those exact ones (and unlocked cores on 3 of 4).

CPU Cooler - Only if overclocking.

MEM - Go with G.Skill if they have them for a similar price as NewEgg and you can wait for shipping. => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-20-231-193-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

SSD - Adapter? Not for SATA and power cables. You will need one to mount the 2.5" drive in a 3.5" bay. No 2.5" internal bays listed in the Antec 300 specs...

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Also it say's that you want to crossfire down the road,but you have a nvidia gpu. Nvidia uses SLI, I would not try to SLI with amd mobos. The SLI capable boards are older chipsets and will not perform as well.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I would grab an x3 or x4 because you are never guaranteed that you can unlock extra cores. You will see the benefit of three cores with in gaming. Microcenter's site wouldn't load for me or I would recommend one from there.

I would agree on the x3 or x4, but the OP originally stated "I want single core clock speed over multi-core" and that Phenom II x2 560 will OC nicely for that purpose. The Phenom II X4 955 IS an option in those bundles...

ximfinity

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks for the responses, glad to know I'm generally on a good track.

CPU Cooler - Only if overclocking.

I just had a core 2 duo burn up with the stock cooler, so I'm just taking the safer choice of non-stock for now.

MEM - Go with G.Skill if they have them for a similar price as NewEgg and you can wait for shipping. => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 63938&SID=

I would like to get Ram to build it today(also $40 for it seems like a good price), I only have DDR2 Ram at home right now. Would I be able to mix the G Series with the G.Skill ram for the 2nd 4 Gb? How much would using the G Series affect the pc?

SSD - Adapter? Not for SATA and power cables. You will need one to mount the 2.5" drive in a 3.5" bay. No 2.5" internal bays listed in the Antec 300 specs...

Thanks, It looks like they sell some brackets for $3.

Also it say's that you want to crossfire down the road,but you have a nvidia gpu. Nvidia uses SLI, I would not try to SLI with amd mobos. The SLI capable boards are older chipsets and will not perform as well.

The Crossfire would be with new radeon cards and a new mobo in the future.. so its probably not an applicable request. Would the single GTS 250 work with this motherboard though?

I would agree on the x3 or x4, but the OP originally stated "I want single core clock speed over multi-core" and that Phenom II x2 560 will OC nicely for that purpose. The Phenom II X4 955 IS an option in those bundles...

I agree but the lowest price bundle that supports 1600Mhz Ram is $209.99 price which is more than twice as expensive as the X2. MC convieniently left out the first two boards that support it for the X4,[strike] the 2nd one: (Asus M4A78LT / Phenom II X6 1055T AM3 Processor for +$90.00 though which is tempting.)[/strike] Nevermind it doesn't support 1600 either.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
The Crossfire would be with new radeon cards and a new mobo in the future.. so its probably not an applicable request. Would the single GTS 250 work with this motherboard though?
Yes it would. Just make sure you find a motherboard with at least 8x,8x crossfire capability. A good option would be the asrock 870 extreme.

TRENDING THREADS