New Build Advice?

Jan 14, 2016
I'm Currently a Console Gamer (PS3), and I would really appreciate some help in my first Gaming/Video making PC. Based on what I've read elsewhere, it seems conventional wisdom indicates having one for each task would be ideal, but... well, anyway, the setup I'm looking at is this:

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: If I remember correctly, the actual system I laid out was somewhere between 1800 and 2300 US dollars

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video Capture/Editing, Browsing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: - MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition
- Intel i7-5820K 3.3GHz stock (6-cores)
- WD Black 6TB HDD (7200RPM)
- Corsair Hx750i (750Watt) PSU
- HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) either 2133 or 2666MHz
- NZXT Phantom 820 Full ATX Case
- MSI Geforce GTX 980 Ti 6GB GPU
- Microsoft Windows 10 pro/home on a flash drive

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Amazon.com, NCIX.com

Parts Preferences: N/A
Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: up to 4K, unknown/unspecified dimensions

Additional Comments: just looking for a good, solid gaming and video making PC that can remain cool

Why Are You Upgrading: After some careful and, frankly, quick contemplation, I just decided that I would prefer to upgrade into the PC Gaming world as opposed to the PS4. I have other things for my, I'll call it a "conversion," but they shouldn't effect the overall performance based on my research. To be a tad more specific, I want to be able to run Shogun 2 Total War on Ultra Settings with FPS dropping to no less than 45-50, and/or be able to run Skyrim with 5-15 mods on Ultra settings with roughly 60FPS, whichever is more demanding overall. Any advice for the new guy? :)

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Hopefully I can offer something approaching usable advice.

Not totally sold on the 5xxx series processors. They're really cool, but it's really a question of if the extra cost is actually realized in a huge jump in performance. I'm honestly tempted to say no. There aren't any games that really take advantage of anything other than single core performance right now, and even though the stock performance on the 5820k is good, the more cost efficient method (though does not lack for performance) is an i5 (an i7 if you're bound and determined to have hyper threading)

The other big change is getting rid of the single 6TB HDD for a split drive setup between a 2TB spin drive and an SSD for the OS. Personally after I switched I'd never build another machine without an SSD.

I threw this together to match the rough pricing I found for the parts you'd selected with some changes

click

Jan 14, 2016
@CV_Taihou

Thanks for the advice and I admit, based on what I saw that is a really nice PC, but my only worry is the video editing/rendering from a quad core CPU, just based on the (admittedly small) information I have on quad cores for that purpose. I had planned on getting an SSD for my OS and similar programs, but the Hard drives were a bit cheaper and I record a lot of videos, due to being a relatively new youtuber; I tend to make longer videos and without compression the files are over a gig or two each. Granted, a 2TB drive would still take some time to fill, but I am also a hobbyist writer and have several things I'm working on. I have not locked in anything just yet though; in fact just last night I was tweaking and searching for deals and other options for parts. I suppose, to summarize, is that my main concerns with that build are : Storage space, and lower core count (could be a non-issue).

Again though, thank you very much for the advice and time spent making that build, and as always I look forward to discussing this!