Question New Build - - - No programs will load after installing Steam and Xbox Game Pass ?

May 14, 2024
So I have built a new pc with components listed below. I can install Windows no problem but after a wee while when i install any other program when I restart the PC and get in to Windows, it won't load a single thing,

It wont restart, and won't shut down without me hard powering off PC. I have had now 3 new motherboards but still same issue. I have tested the RAM and CPU with stress- testing software loaded from USB and all seems good. No issues seen. I have tried installing Windows on to a new hard drive but still have same issue.
I'm titerally about to put the lot in the bin and just buy a pre-built PC or go back to XBOX

AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD B650, AM5, DDR5, SATA3, PCIe 4.0, 3x M.2, 2.5GbE/WiFi 6E, AMD EXPO™, ATX 7X790
TeamGroup Delta RGB 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C38 6000MHz Dual Channel Ki
Corsair Force MP600 ELITE 2TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 Solid State Drive with Heatsink
DeepCool AK500 Zero Dark CPU Cooler - 120mm
Fractal Pop Air RGB, Black/Orange, Mid Tower Chassis w/ TG Window, 3x 120mm RGB Fans, USB 3.0, ATX/mATX/mITX

GFX Card is an old RX 580 and power supply is an old Corsair MX850

May 7, 2024
  1. Get a backup of your important data and a list of programs you will need to reinstall
  2. Go to Microsoft's official page and download the Installation Assistant for your selected version (10 or 11)
  3. Write a fresh image onto a flash drive using the Installation Assistant
  4. Boot from the flash drive and delete all partitions on the drive via the installer
  5. Install Windows on the drive which should now be entirely unallocated
  6. Restore data and reinstall programs
If you encounter the same issue after that then I would be concerned about drive failure, but you mentioned already trying with a different drive. You can check your drive's health using CrystalDiskInfo.

May 14, 2024
Cheers mate, I am tying to install Manjaro just now so I can download the above. I dont have another PC in house apart from works laptop which is locked down

May 14, 2024
So installed win11. All good until I installed steam then exact same thing again. Even took out nvme drive.

May 14, 2024
Drives appear all fine too mate using above.
Weird that i can install gamepass on pc, then when I try and install steam it freezes my pc. Havent tried to install any other 3rd party software like Rockstar as i know this also does it

I'm assuming this is the case, but are you just downloading the installer off the steam website and then letting it download and update off of that?

At what point in the process does it freeze?

May 14, 2024
As soon as I restart pc mate. I can install and use gamepass for pc, I can install things like whatsapp app but when i try and install STEAM/ Rockstar install app wen I restart it crashes and cant use a single thing including restart/shutdown option. Need to hard reset.
Starting to think its either MB or Processor(even though this comes back 100% pass)

Last edited:
May 7, 2024
As soon as I restart pc mate. I can install and use gamepass for pc, I can install things like whatsapp app but when i try and install STEAM/ Rockstar install app wen I restart it crashes and cant use a single thing including restart/shutdown option. Need to hard reset.
Starting to think its either MB or Processor(even though this comes back 100% pass)
Try MemTest like I said. Those would be some weird symptoms for motherboard or CPU failure, I'd be surprised.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024
So I have now tried new memory which is compatible with motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 6000MHz AMD EXPO Desktop Memory for Gaming​

Installed steam and same issue, had to do system restore to get back to windows.
Updated BIOS to latest version. MB has latest driver
Ran MEM TEST and all ok
Ran OCCT and all good too

May 7, 2024
Do you have any recent entries in C:\Windows\Minidump or a C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP? If so, please upload them to a cloud storage service such as Google Drive, OneDrive, or Dropbox and share the links here.

May 14, 2024
Hi mate

So I decided to try something different. I updated my GFX card via the AMD Adrenaline app thingy which was different to the Gigabyte control center. I then installed Steam and removed it from starting up when Windows launched.
I restarted pc 2 or 3 times, which seems to have worked. Currently installing a game to see if that works.

Hi mate

So I decided to try something different. I updated my GFX card via the AMD Adrenaline app thingy which was different to the Gigabyte control center. I then installed Steam and removed it from starting up when Windows launched.
I restarted pc 2 or 3 times, which seems to have worked. Currently installing a game to see if that works.
As a general rule: never install any control software from vendors and if you have to for some reason (I had a BIOS update once that actually required it much to my annoyance) remove it when done.

MSI/Asus/Gigabyte/ASRock etc all do poor jobs designing their in house software so avoiding it is typically for the best. Always download drivers and updates directly from the device manufacturer whenever possible. Otherwise the only thing you should be using from a vendor is direct downloads of things like chipset/controller drivers when needed.

Reactions: paulb1912