[SOLVED] New build: AIO doesn't fit micro-ATX case, any suggestions?

Aug 29, 2022
Hi everyone,

So last week I ordered my computer with the following specs: https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/nC7fVw

Mind you, this is a micro-ATX motherboard & case.
My goal was to have 1 rear 120mm exhaust fan, 2 top 140mm exhaust fans on the AIO radiator, and 3 120mm intake front fans.

As you can see I initially didn't get an aftermarket CPU cooler, I immediately regretted it when I saw the temps and ordered an AIO (bequiet! Pure Loop 2 FX 280mm). I also ordered 3 slim case fans as intake for the front panel. They haven't arrived yet. Today, the AIO arrived and I quickly noticed it was going to be too thick to fit above my motherboard.

Pictures: View: https://imgur.com/a/QrDTwUt

Right now I have a couple options:
  1. Buy 2 super thin fans (15mm thin maximum) and hope it doesn't affect cooling that much. They will blow through the radiator so I have a feeling it will be quite significant.
  2. Buy an ATX case, that would mean I'll have to buy an ATX motherboard as well (well no, but it's common sense). I highly doubt I'll be able to return a motherboard tho, even though it's only been 5 days since I bought it.
  3. Find a micro-ATX case that has enough space above the motherboard to put the AIO. If anyone knows of a case like this, let me know! The AIO is ~53mm thick.
  4. Get an air-cooled CPU cooler, however this is my least favorite option since this is a pretty small case and the airflow isn't great. I'm scared of having to deal with really high temperatures. Especially because the CPU temps already got up to 95 degrees with intel stock cooler while trying out a game.
If someone has any tips for me please let me know, I would really appreciate that.

Thanks for reading!

Solution
240mm is not as wide. Your case is not compatible with any 280, in the top. Take a 120mm fan, and see if the offset, in the top of the case, is enough, that you would clear the heatsinks, on a rad.
Aug 29, 2022
Would that mean that 240mm AIO's are thinner than their 280mm counterpart?

Also, the front isn't an option since the GPU barely fits the case, that's why I'm ordering slim fans in the front.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022
I took another look at it, and you're probably right.
At first I thought a 240mm wouldn't fit either because of the power connectors on the top left but you can really fold those cables so it might just fit.

Wow, these computers are made so everything barely fits aren't they. My mistake in buying the wrong size AIO. Should've checked the case specs instead of just looking at the holes on top. Those are probably just for fans.

Looks like I panicked too quickly and didn't really think about the easiest solution at hand.

Thank you for your answers, I think my question is solved.

TRENDING THREADS