Question New build and 1 of the 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front does not work. Please help!

joeljoel1947

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
So my son and I put this together the past 4 days. All brand new stuff from Micro Center purchased locally:

Cooler master Lite 5 RGB case
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WiFi motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
Gigabyte 1660TI GeForce GTX GPU
16GB DDR4 Gaming RAM from G.Skill
Powerspec 650 watt bronze PSU
512GB solid state drive from Intel for windows
2TB WD Blue HD for main storage
Windows 10 Professional

So everything works except for 1 of the 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front of the CoolerMaster Lite 5 case. I have plugged and unplugged the cable that goes from the USB 3.0 ports into the motherboard (it's essentially a "Y" cable that turns the 2 ports into 1 big cable). Nope, just 1 of the 2 ports work and it does not appear a pin is snapped off or missing but as I don't have the motherboard out of the case in perfect lighting, I cannot be 100% sure. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to mess with it either as I'm leaving the country for 2 months in a few days but want to at least leave the PC with my son fully functioning.

All that said, I don't even care if I can just get the non working 3.0 port to work as a USB 2.0 port on the front, as long as it works I'll be happy. As this was our 1st build and this is the only thing that does not work, we really aren't keen to rip everything apart and start diagnosing if it's a bad cable, broken pin, etc.

What we see on the motherboard (we did buy a warranty on it at least so I can mess with it more down the road) are a few more pin spots just labeled "USB". What I want to do perhaps is get an internal 3.0 to 2.0 USB cable adapter and go into the motherboard into one of the free pin slots it has and connect the other end to the broken port. Hoping that would at least get it going.

Have not yet installed the motherboard drivers (even though I'm in windows already) but will do so tonight on the odd chance updated drivers might fix the port (doubt it).

So, bottom line is it going to be difficult to run a cable from the broken 3.0 port to the 2.0 pins on my motherboard? That isn't some propriety cable is it that only the case manufacturer would have? I think I just need to rip the existing cable off the 3.0 USB port and run a3.0 to 2.0 cable to my motherboard. Anyhow, Thanks in advance!

It's not snapped off. That pin is missing on all of the USB 3.0 internal headers. If you look in the top right corner in the big blue 3.0 internal header below, you'll see it is not there as well. So unless yours is missing one that is not in the corner of the header, then it's normal.

No, you can't get it working as a 2.0 header as they use a completely different BUS and different wiring.

It's likely your case either has a problem with the wiring OR with the mini board on the front panel. Or if that case has no mini board, then just the port itself which should in that case consist of just the two ports and the wiring and should be replaceable. If it is the mini board, as a lot of cooler master cases use little mini boards inside the front panel to control the USB and sound connections, then it should be replaceable as well. I'd contact Cooler master and tell them you need a replacement. I've had to replace many of these mini boards on CM cases over the years and they've always sent me a replacement free of charge even on cases that were probably not under warranty anymore.

bFC08.jpg

joeljoel1947

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Thanks @Darkbreeze for your reply. Yes I know the one pin in the corner is supposed to be missing. I just can’t tell if another one is missing as well. When I have more time I will contact CM about that part you mentioned and rip the PC apart to carefully inspect those pins.

I found this cable on Amazon. It’s for people who have a case with a USB 3.0 port but a motherboard that only has a USB 2.0 connection. Are you sure something like this won’t work?

SIENOC USB 3.0 20 Pin male to Female USB 2.0 9 Pin Motherboard Male/Female Housing Adapter Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOI3VC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XCx1Cb61H90TC

The problem could originate in several places.
  1. The usb3.0 motherboard header could be defective.
  2. The usb3.0 cable to the front panel usb3.0 ports could be defective.
  3. One of the front usb3.0 ports could be defective.

What to do?

1. Do you really need more than one front USB port on the front of the pc itself??
There should be plenty of rear ports to use. Or, a usb hub could provide multiple ports in front.
Perhaps your monitor has usb ports.

2. If the front usb socket is defective, you need a replacement which will come from Coolermaster, likely under warranty.
Ditto if the problem is the blue cable which will be part of the front panel assembly.

3. If the problem is with the motherboard header itself, you can RMA the motherboard which is a pain.
You could use the linked usb2.0 to 3.0 cable and the result will be usb2.0 in front.
Or. you can buy a pcie adapter card that has a usb3.0 header on it.

If time constraints keep you from diagnosing the problem, I suggest a usb extension hub for now.

Reactions: joeljoel1947

joeljoel1947

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Thanks @geofelt! Yea I think I’ll just leave it for now and have him use a hub. He’s used to that anyway as our last PC only had one on front to begin with. There are 6 on back that all work and the one on the front so that’s plenty. I’ll dig into it more when I get back.

The 2 ports are directly wired to the motherboard right from them, so I don’t have the interface board Darkbreeze showed. It’s most certainly one of the 3 issues you point out. I just hope it isn’t the motherboard because that will be a pain. But it’s the one thing I bought a 2 year warranty on so I’m not in a hurry or worried about it.

Thanks all for the help!

It irks me to just "live with it" when a product is brand new and under warranty, and I wouldn't do it. I'd contact Cooler master and get them to send a replacement part. You have nothing to lose by doing so. I've had to do this with a number of their front I/O panels and mini-boards in the past. They simply asked for purchase verification and then sent me the replacements. No reason to not have a working sub system on a new component.

Reactions: joeljoel1947