New build and I can't run games with high specs

Ponchito

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
So I've recently built a new computer, and after installing all the drivers I've assumed the computer will need, I tested games, and it took me by surprise that I can run games in medium or low specs, so I'm not sure if it's something of the components or am I missing something.

Build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8GCNZ8

I'm also thinking about getting a new hard drive (western digital 1TB black), maybe this will keep things a little bit more smooth, but yet, I'm not sure if that will solve the problem for sure, so I'm pointing at drivers trouble or something :/

Solution

That's right! Edited above post to reflect this.

In that case, you can get (1) DVI to VGA, (2) HDMI to VGA, or (3) DisplayPort to VGA - as long as the adapter is active. I put a picture of each below, and you can click the image to go to the purchase page. Keep in mind, though, that this should be a temporary solution. Installing active adapters add a little but of lag, and you'll want a better display to go with that GPU. The resolution won't require your GPU to do very much at all.

DVI to VGA (click...

TomHolmez12

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
www.twitch.tv

What resolution are you running it at, 2 or 4k then this wil be why, change the resolution to 1080p. Have you got your monitor plugged into the graphics card or motherboard?? Plugging it into motherboard basicaly bypasses the gpu, effectively forcing the cpu's integrated graphics to be used. Have you got all the latest graphics drivers installed from geforce.com. Have you got mobo drivers installed and upto date??

Eggz

Distinguished
To enable your GTX 1070: Go into your BIOS/UEFI by tapping "Del" and "F2" when your computer starts up (just keeping mashing it until you get into the motherboard's settings). Then go to the "Advanced" tab and select "System Agent (SA) Configuration." In there, go to "Graphics Configuration" and set the following (from pages 2-24 through 2-26 of your motherboard manual):

Primary Display: PCIE
iGPU Multi Monitor: Disabled
RC6 (Render Standby): Disabled

Then, shut down your computer, plug the monitor into the back of your GPU (i.e. not the motherboard), and boot up your machine.

To make your motherboard deliver information to your CPU and GPU properly: Install all drivers in the correct order, which Intel describes as follows on its website.

Step 1 - The OS: You've already done this.

Step 2 - Update the OS: Press the Windows key on your keyboard, and then type "Windows Update" to search for it, and open Windows Update. On the left, click "Check for updates." After the computer searches for updates, install all "Important" updates and any "Optional" updates you want.

Step 3 - Install the INF Utility: Go to this ASUS website for your motherboard, select your OS (Windows 10 64-Bit), and expand the "Chipset" downloads tab. Download the latest "Intel Management Engine Interface" (IMEI) and "Chipset" drivers (be sure to check the date).

Because you need to install these BEFORE your other drivers (e.g. GPU drivers), uninstall your GPU drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Get the latest version from this link. Run the program, let it restart and take you into Windows running "Safe Mode." Follow the prompts to remove everything related to Nvidia.

Restart your computer normally.

Step 4 - Other drivers: Download and run GeForce experience form this link. While running GeForce experience, download the latest GPU drivers and do a "Fresh Installation" when given the option.

** Note that if your internet doesn't work, you may need to install your internet drivers, which you can get from the motherboard webpage I linked above (under Step 3). **

RESTART and try game again.

Good luck!

Ponchito

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
Hi everyone, I'll try to answer all the questions in this posts, thanks for answering by the way.

1)Which games and what resolution/framerate are you playing at?
Battlefield 4: the resolution my monitor allows me is about 1360 x 768, and in Low specs I get around 60 to 70 FPS, while in High or ultra I get barely 30, mostly 20 to 25 FPS, which makes it impossible to play.
Dying Light: almost the same. Specs on medium to minimum. FPS: 20 - 30
Ark: this game is bad optimized but, I have to run it almost at minimum.
2) You did a fresh windows installation right? As long as you've installed your mobo's drivers and latest video card drivers then you shouldn't be having issues.

I did, yesterday was the first time this computer worked properly (had some issues to make it work but it was a cable thing), and I've installed the drivers from the official sites of the components.

3) Your system can handle any today games you throw at it. Did you have the latest driver for the graphic card?
Yes, the latest one I've installed came from here "http://www.geforce.com/drivers?", and the version I actually own is '378.92'.

4) Hi
This is probably a siily question but you did plug your monitor into the graphics card and not the motherboard .
I cannot plug it into the graphic card since is an old monitor, and has only a VGA cable. Monitor is: LG E1940

5)What resolution are you running it at, 2 or 4k then this wil be why, change the resolution to 1080p. Have you got your monitor plugged into the graphics card or motherboard?? Plugging it into motherboard basicaly bypasses the gpu, effectively forcing the cpu's integrated graphics to be used. Have you got all the latest graphics drivers installed from geforce.com. Have you got mobo drivers installed and upto date??

Already answered, and yes, mobo drivers are up to date.

Before I continue to do what user "Eggz" said, after reading some answers, maybe its just the monitor for now?, I know I should change it but I didn't know it could affect that much, specially when it's about plug it directly to the graphic card, which has an HDMI port.

I'll wait for an answer, and I'll update as soon as possible, thank you so much!

Eggz

Distinguished

Dude, there you go! You're not at all using the video card :pt1cable:

The cheapest short term fix is to get an active converter for $5 or so (link to one). Getting a DVI to VGA converter (like the one shown below) will let you plug the monitor into the VGA cable, into the DVI converter, and then into the GPU's DVI plug. If you add that onto the stuff I put above, it should work. Good luck!

Good idea, but this won't work for him.

The 1000 series cards don't output any analogue signal like the older ones did. He needs an active adapter.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F83K81915

Eggz

Distinguished

That's right! Edited above post to reflect this.

In that case, you can get (1) DVI to VGA, (2) HDMI to VGA, or (3) DisplayPort to VGA - as long as the adapter is active. I put a picture of each below, and you can click the image to go to the purchase page. Keep in mind, though, that this should be a temporary solution. Installing active adapters add a little but of lag, and you'll want a better display to go with that GPU. The resolution won't require your GPU to do very much at all.

DVI to VGA (click image for product page)

HDMI to VGA (click image for product page)

DisplayPort to VGA (click image for product page)

Solution

Ponchito

Reputable
Jan 24, 2017
Thank you all, how dumb I was lol, today I've bought an HDMI cable and tried with the TV, and I'm so lucky that my keyboard (which probably is like 6 to 8 years old) died, lol, tried it on 2 different laptops and it didnt work, so I couldn't manage to try games properly to run some tests, so I'll update, but for now I have to get a keyboard lol, thank you all for the help again :)