New build-any uinput appreciated-Need input!!

inkace

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I am building my first gaming rig and this is what I am looking at so far.

Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM
Cooler Master / Real Power / 850-Watt / ATX v2.2 / 135mm Fan / SATA Ready
Apevia X-Jupiter G Type ATX Full-Tower Case
2-Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB Hard Drive - 10K (Raid config)
Lite-ON IHAS422-08 DVD Burner - 22X DVD+R, 22X DVD-R
Ultra X-Wind Aluminum Socket K8/AM2 CPU Cooling Fan
Visiontek Radeon HD 4870 X2 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5,
Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 Processor AT80601000741AA - 2.66GHz

I would appreciate any input, this is about tapping my budget so I do not have much left to spend. I am trying to build something that will last me for sometime. Thanks in advance to all.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I always recommend a good, fast dual core; around 3ghz, with a motherboard that will accept a quad core upgrade some time in the future. You would save so much just going for a fast dual core and at least 4gigs DDR2 with the option to upgrade to 8gigs in a year or so. DDR3 and quads just dont really seem worth the price difference to me just yet. But by all means, Intel's quads are very decent at the moment, and if you have the money to burn... You also didn't mention your monitor/resolution you'll be running?

inkace

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
This is the monitor I am getting with it:

I-Inc iF-281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Response Time: 3 ms

inkace

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I am trying to set it up so I will not need to touch it for 2+ years. It just seems like this rig could handle anything that will be coming out for a couple years. I will give your input some consideration before I make my purchase. Thanks.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
2+ years??? you damn n00b!!! :p j/k I say wait for Nvidia's new cards in the next couple days and see what happens to vidcard prices before you decide. :)

doormat, be polite.

inkace, I am generally not a proponent of waiting, but there are two reasons to wait a little while now. First, there are 45 nm GPU cores coming from nVidia real soon now. Second, Phenom II is also coming from AMD. Both may have an effect on the pricing of everything else - and might not :(.

Present configuration: you can save some money on the hard drives. Current "performance" drives (WD Black's for example) are almost as fast as the Raptors and, because of the higher data density, have higher sustained throughput and they run cooler. And I wouldn't build a RAID array without an external controller card.

Will your (AMD) CPU cooler fit the i7 CPU?

And minor, really minor: I prefer the Samsung SATA DVD r/w drives.

inkace

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
lol. It will be more than 2 days before I buy so I have time to see what happens. will see what happens.