New build ASRock H87M and i7 4790 not working

Devlyn

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Hi all

Just built a new system with the ASRock H87M motherboard and a i7 4790 CPU. After putting everything together. Everything powers on, but nothing happens on the screen. No sound from the system speaker.

I followed the guide that has been posted on this form (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems). And come to a conclusion. Either my CPU/motherboard is defective or my BIOS need to be updated to support the CPU.

If anyone can please help me, I'll appreciated it.

Enjoy
Devlyn

Solution
you have to check the bios on the board......... not at the website........ what's installed on your board is what matters. it may say in the description where you purchased it that it will run the "new and fancy" cpu's................ but it doesn't tell you what bios the board ships with.......

Devlyn

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
I checked the ASRock website before I got it and it does. But not all earlier versions. (http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/H87M/?cat=CPU). But I thought I would at least be able to use the CPU, and only get the full CPU benefit when I update the BOIS.

you have to check the bios on the board......... not at the website........ what's installed on your board is what matters. it may say in the description where you purchased it that it will run the "new and fancy" cpu's................ but it doesn't tell you what bios the board ships with.......

Solution

Devlyn

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Thanks swifty_morgan, did not know the version number was on the motherboard. I checked it is an older version BIOS, and according to the support list on the website. The version I have does not support the new CPU.

Is there a way I can update the BIOS without buying other CPU?

if you can't get into the bios you can't do it. can you borrow another supported ( older ) cpu from somebody?....... or you're looking at the absolute lowest priced cpu to purchase that is supported. ....... sorry for your pain....................... I don't know any other way to do it.

boards used to come with BIOS chips and you used to be able to get one....... now everything is integrated.

Devlyn

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
I see the BIOS chip is not integrated, so one could pull it out if need be. I contacted the manufacture, hopefully they can give me a solution to update which is not costly, I read that, some manufacture allow one free BIOS replacement.

And for others that are experiencing the same problem as me. I did a a little research on alternative methods.

1. There are place you can buy BIOS chips and they will load version of the BIOS you need, and ship it to you.
2. You may also consider getting a EPROM programmer, to flash your BIOS, it may be cheaper than a new CPU.

xattr

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
I had the exact same problem. But on eBay there are guys selling programmed BIOS Chips. They programm them with the latest BIOS Version. You have to buy the Chip and a removal Tool from them to change the Chip on the Mainboard. Its very easy and it just costs around 15 Euro.

Devlyn

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
I am posting this from my new working PC :D

What I did, was go to my local Computer Shop, and they had a supported CPU, and did the update for me. Cost me R85 (ZAR). Not a expensive mistake, I made.

I was considering buying a new BIOS chip, but 15 Euro to ZAR is just over R200, and I had to wait for it to be shipped to me. This solution I did was done in a few hours.

If anyone else has this problem, I hope this simple solution helps.

Fishypike

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Hey, sorry for jumping in so late but I am having the exact same problem, I can't seem to find the bios version on the motherboard. Could someone direct me if I can't load up the computer.

Devlyn

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

There was a little white sticker, with the BIOS version number on my BIOS chip on the motherboard. I did not find it at first because it was small.

You can check on the manufactures website of your motherboard, which version your BIOS needs to be to support your CPU.

Then you can use an older CPU to just update your BIOS or you can do what I did and take it in to the local Computer Shop, they do the update for a fee, but should not be that expensive.

But first tell us what motherboard and CPU you have.

Fishypike

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Asrock h97m pro4 w/ i7 4790k. I have removed the gpu, replaced the ram, moved the ram, replaced the power supply , changed cpu fans, replaced the motherboard thinking it was defective, and then replaced the cpu thinking that was defective. I am still out of luck.
When powering on the computer, it runs however the LEDs pulse every second or so and the fans are 3/4 speed by the looks and sound. It continues to run but it cannot be shut off using the power button and the power supply must be switched off. No display either from gpu or onboard.

Fishypike

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Update on computer, tried a different processor with the same result. This pulsing power Thing throughout the system couldn't have anything to do with the case correct?

Devlyn

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
So I went to the 'CPU Support List' for your motherboard on the ASRock website (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97M%20Pro4/?cat=CPU) and what I saw is; if you search for your CPU in the list, it is support for all BIOS verses of your motherboard. So there is no need to update your BIOS for your CPU as it should work. That fact that it is not working suggest that your problem is different from the problem I had. It is time to log a new thread.

It seems you shooting from the hip, in hope to solve the problem. Maybe its time to try a systematic approach. Follow the instructions here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems. I know some of these steps seem like it is not gonna help. But I went through it anyway, and when I got to step 20, I realized what the problem was with my PC. Maybe you just over looked something, and this guide may lead you to the problem. Just try it, step for step.

I know it is frustrating, but I will say this; things that you have to struggle for in life, you appreciated it more in the end.