Question New build (B550, Ryzen 5 5600x) keeps crashing after boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2021
Hello folks

I just bought some new parts for a (partially) new build. However, I have some difficulties with stability.

To start with the hardware is:
MB: MSI B550-A pro (newest bios)
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x (Stock cooler)
Ram: 2x 8GB DDR4 3200mhz cl 16 (Compatible according to MB manufacturer and RAM manufacturer)
GPU: GTX1070 (And a working GTX680 for testing purposes)

First, the pc wouldn't POST at all. The fans were spinning and the lights came on, both on the MB, GPU, and CPU.
However, I got no output, no POST. The CPU debug light was solid white.

I figured that I would pull everything out of the case, reset CMOS, plugin a brand new CMOS battery and reseat everything. I also build it on top of a box instead of in the case.
Lo and behold, the pc could suddenly POST and do it consistently.

I figured that I would try to build it in the case again, and it still booted.
So now I think that I would be able to use it, at last.

But I log in to windows, the computer now keeps "restarting", or well, more like cutting the power and turning it on again (crashing without error message).
So I can use windows for like 10 seconds - then black screen and it boots again.

I noticed by pure coincidence that the debug light for DRAM is flashing for like a millisecond every time the computer "reboots", or cuts power.

I hope that perhaps someone here can help me figure out what is wrong.

Some of the things I have tried:
  • Booting with the minimum required hardware (1 ram stick etc.)
  • Booting with one ram stick at a time, in all the slots
  • Booting with confirmed working ram
  • I have reseated the CPU and CPU cooler
  • No bend pins on the CPU
  • Cpu cooler is not overly tight
  • Switched out GPU
  • Reset CMOS
  • Changed CMOS battery
  • Made sure that the RAM is running standard speed
  • Made sure that the standoffs are in the right position in the case
  • CPU temps in bios are hovering around 35 degrees Celcius. (95 degrees Fahrenheit)
I think that It is not likely a software issue as I tried to reinstall windows, and while reinstalling - it crashed again in the same manner.
There is one caveat with the whole crashing stuff and that is that it is not doing it when I'm in the BIOS. And it seems to crash faster in windows if I try to use the pc. (usually, I only get to click on an icon before a crash)

I tried to come up with some possibilities for the crashes:
  • Shorting (I really can't see anything it should be shorting on - and wouldn't it do it in bios also if that's the case?)
  • Faulty CPU
  • Faulty motherboard
  • Faulty PSU
I hope you have some ideas, I have now tried to fix it for a whole week and nothing is working.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. Include the age of the PSU if it's being recycled from an older build. Make and model of the case? Did you recreate your bootable USB installer for Windows 10 using Window Media Creation Tools? For the sake of relevance, can you include the BIOS version at the time of writing?
I just bought some new parts for a (partially) new build.
^ can you elaborate on what parts are new and what parts are from your previous machine?

Sep 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. Include the age of the PSU if it's being recycled from an older build.
I just bought some new parts for a (partially) new build.
^ can you elaborate on what parts are new and what parts are from your previous machine?

Hi, and thank you.
I has been lurking for some time, but I hope to contribute.

Things scavenged from old pc:
  • PSU, Cooler Master G750M (Worked in old pc without any issue)
  • GTX1070, Gainward Phoenix
  • SSD, Crucial MX500 x2
I bought a new (cheap) case also:
- NZXT H510

Edit:

I forgot to answer like half of the questions.

PSU is maybe five or six years old.

Yes, I used Window Media Creation Tools to create the bootable USB installer. This on a USB 2 stick. (A couple of times).
Tried both USB 2 and 3 for the USB installer.

The current bios version is 7C56vA7 from 2021-07-06, which should be the newest non-beta version.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021
Since it will post to bios screen, have you checked your boot section to make sure it is in uefi mode or the boot settings?

It should be in UEFI mode (last I checked).
Generally I mostly tried to leave the bios alone. After loading defaults, I disabled XMP and changed boot device for installing windows, but other than that is should be mostly stock.

Sep 3, 2021
A small update: After trying to change voltage on the RAM it seems like bios hasn't retained the settings.

First after making changes in the bios i got no output when I tried to restart.
Then I tried to unplug in power supply for a few minutes.
Now I can boot in to bios again, however none of the setting has been saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.