Question new build based on photography

Mr Dobyns

Prominent
May 11, 2021
Workflow

I am a sports photographer. It is quite normal for me to shoot 1,000 images at least 4 days per week. I use the latest tech meaning that each image is between 50-100 mb each, that is 50-100,000 mb of data that I need to transfer from the card to the storage drive. The listed read speed is 1,700 mb/second. I want to take full advantage of that speed, well, because the 64 gb cards cost more than $100 per. From there, I am importing images into Lightroom and Topaz denoise and/or Topaz Image AI. My current build is an AMD Ryzen 5900x with 32gb ram and Sabrent 4.0 1tb, which I am happy with but this build is for work.

I want a system that will be faster than I have at home. I don't game, just a ton of photography and sometimes video along with the basic web/youtube/office applications. I will be retiring in about 5 years so I would love for this to be my last build that will serve me into the future.

If I go with AM4 platform, like I have, other than adding more RAM and moving up to the 5950x, I don't think there is much more that I can do, BTW, the transfer speed I am getting now is about 700gb/second, which is awesome, just want more awesome.

If I go with AM5, I have a new CPU, DDR5 RAM, and PCIe 4/5 and faster USB--but at a significant cost. The plus is that I will be able to upgrade whereas the AM4 platform is basically done.

I am also thinking of the Intel platform, where I could use either 12th or 13th generation, DDR5, Thunderbolt, PCIe 4/5, but would give me a greater amount of upgrading possibilities. This would also come at a significant cost. My thoughts about Intel is that, I believe will use the same socket meaning that I can go with a 12th gen now and if I so desire, I should be able to upgrade the cpu, use slower RAM and be able to upgrade and use PCIe 4 storage and upgrade in the future too, basically more options than the AM4 mobo's.

All of the research that I have done is really limited to gaming PC's. Hopefully, one of you with greater understanding can give me some good advice before I take the plunge.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Why_Me