New Build - Big problem! Randow power off & restarts

jr2408

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
All,

I have just built my new PC a week ago and it has been generally very stable apart from 2 random restarts which happened whilst I was installing various software from CD's after setting up windows (which did not show a BSOD but wrote a error stop 102 in the event log), however I did not see any repeat of these, and have been using te PC intensively for office apps and extracting AVI files onto DVD's for watching on my home cinema system.

However until I started playing World of warcraft at the weekend while installing another game in the background from a CD. The machine restarted- no BSOD, no error in the event logs, just the power going off and the machine restarting.

It *seems* that as soon as the DVD drive & hard disk is working while I am doing something graphically intensive, the machine restarts - the only way I could reproduce the restart was to load up WOW and have a cd/dvd related activity going on at the same time. Any time I do this, at some point within a minute of setting it all off, the machine restarts.

I can run the machine stable doing office apps no problem, and have played warcraft for a couple of hours with no problem, and have installed a lot of software from the DVD drive.

Here is what I have checked:-

- Temps - According to PC Probe the CPU runs 45 idle, 55 maxed out and when these restarts happen it has not been higher than 50. I have had it running stable with higher temps encoding DVD's.
- IRQ - graphics card is on it's own IRQ, DVD drive is not sharing an IRQ.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Could it be either memory of the PSU? I have a 620W PSU, so I cannot believe that I am overloading it!

I am going to run a mem test tonight, but also wonder if it could be a PSU issue since the restart seems to happen when I have the graphics card working away as well as the DVD drive and the Raptor? Or could the DVD drive be faulty?

I have the SATA devices working off the Intel ICHR7 controller, the DVD burner working off the secondary IDE channle and the JMicron controller is switched off in the BIOS. CPU & memory are working at default speeds. My case has 4 fans (1 intake, 3 exhaust).

Anyone seen anything like this?

E6600 at stock speed
Artic cooling freezer Pro cooler
BenQ Dvd burner
Mitsumi 7 in 1 floppy card reader
P5W Deluxe
2GB Corsair CL4 DDR2, running at default speed
150GB raptor
320GB Seagate
Gigabyte 7600GT Silent pipe graphics card
Thermaltake Kandalf Case
Enermax Liberty 620W PSU

StriderGr

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Hi. I would start off by checking the card reader. I had problems with mine. Is it powered? Have you conected the power cable? Do you have two memory modules? If yes, try using only one. Also, did you install the latest chipset drivers? If all fails, try removing the board from the case and test. It might be that something is shorting. Hope you fix it soon!!!

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Sounds to me like a power supply issue. I don't know why it would be a card reader / memory / chipset or board shorting - you'd experience problems with the system whether or not it was under load if it was one of those.

I've had similar problems with the PSU - once the voltage drops below a certain point under load the protection kicks in and it restarts the computer to avoid damage.

jr2408

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Any ideas how i can check the power supply? Dont want to RMA it for nothing....

I had another random crash today (after 24 hours stable running), this time just doing surfing. When I looked in the error log there was again no error, but a system event notification:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100306-01.dmp.

I looked further and these were generated also when I had the previous crashes. Anyone know how to interpret these files? Help appreciated...

The easiest thing is to go to a computer store and buy a $20.00 power supply tester and just connect it to the ATX connector, molex, etc.
Or you could buy a multimeter at Radio Shack and test that way.
Connect the green and a black wire on the ATX connector if you want to manually start the power supply. Keep a small load on the Power Supply while testing.
Here is what a power supply tester looks like:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3217/psu-165/FrozenCPU_Virtual-Hideoutnet_Special_Edition_ATX_20_Power_Supply_Tester_2024_pin_ATX_SATA_P4_Xeon_PCI-E_Floppy_4_pin.html?tl=g11

vapezilla

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
dude its World of Warcraft all over toms hardware people having problems and everyone says its drivers or hardware ihave brand new top of line Phenom II x4 849denab 3.0 ghz setep,1000w thermaltake psu, ati 4890 gpu, 4 gig ocz 1066 ddr2ram by ocz, 140mm thermaltake heatsink with fan, asus m4a79 deluxe motherboard, ht omega claro plus soundcard, and its not hardware or it is not sure but before i got ati 4890 i used a 9800gt and had issue when running wow with ventrilo, everybody told me diff hardware or driver tips ended up rma ing everything and it still restarted randomly a couple times were bluesscreen, but it never happend in any other app, eventually noticed curse client renamed a few folders in wow so i renamed them back that fixed the problem pc works flawless for another month then i upgrade video card to 4890 and decided to format pc for clean start since i was going from nvidia to ati after reinstalling wow i now have this issue noticed wow curse client once again renamed file so i renamed them back(wasthe interface and WTF folders in wow) but this time it didnt fix issue im stumpted but it only happend in wow ive even left pc on running L4D COD 4 and HL2 for 8-10 hours while at work came home and not 1 did pc restart so im pretty sure its warcraft but im not a expert in pcs but i know its not my pc being old its new and fast and problem is only when using wow so it has to be wow not hardware id think but i also am running XP Pro SP3 and yes everything is up to date this is driving me completely insane i know this may or may nott be a solution but im feelin similiar pain as u and notice everyone is tellin u same thing they told me its hardware but if its hardware why does it only happen in WoW not any other game i know L4D or COD 4 running for 8 hours is more strain on pc then 10minutes to an hour of WoW PLEASE HELP US