Question New Build Black Screen after a month

GreenGiant117

Honorable
Oct 14, 2016
So I just built a new system mid September (last piece arrived Sept 19th) here are the details of the build:

i5-12600KF
Gigabyte B660 Gaming X DDR4
Noctua NH-D15S
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB
Gigabyte Gaming RTX 3080 ti
Corsair RM850
Corsair 4000D Airflow
Windows 11

All has been great for the first 25 days, but then in the middle of a game, the system crashed to a reboot (PC off with some pattern flashing on the motherboard led's, then after a good 15-20 seconds it self boots up again)
Since then I have had two more crashes to a complete reboot, once while playing a game, but then once when the system was basically idle. There were two spreadsheets open, Chrome (with 15 or so tabs open), and a couple of game repositories open (Steam, Epic, Xbox App) and it died just the same way.

I had the side panel off when it died essentially at idle, and nothing was hot, immediately went into the BIOS and the CPU temp was 26, and once booted the GPU was at 45, so I don't think it was a thermal cutout, I'm hesitant to blame the power supply since it has only happened three times and once at idle, so almost no load.

Any idea's how to proceed troubleshooting the issue?
Since it's a hard reboot I don't get any errors, and even when gaming the computer and monitor (LG C1 48 inch) only draw around 700-800 watts according to my home energy monitor.

GreenGiant117

Honorable
Oct 14, 2016
Could be some driver issue, could be power spike, could be something else. Is there anything in Reliability Monitor or Event Viewer at crash time. Have you checked?

Run Who Crashed from Resplendence Software and see whether it throws anything.
I was thinking power spike but I have it on a UPS so that's highly unlikely.
Reliability Monitor and Event Viewer both just list restarting without proper shut down, nothing more...
Who Crashed doesn't find any dump files, so not a windows crash, seems like power loss.

I'm going to assume it's a power supply issue, the one I got is refurbished, which should be fine, but I might see if I can return and get a different one.

DSzymborski

Titan
Honestly, I'd definitely swap out the PSU and re-test. PSUs are safety equipment and anything but new has to be taken down a tier or two in quality from a new one. It seems like an odd choice to spend a thousand bucks on a GPU and then try to save $20 or something on the safety equipment. If you bought a new Ferrari, would you find savings by slapping on used brakes or tires?

I was thinking power spike but I have it on a UPS so that's highly unlikely.
Reliability Monitor and Event Viewer both just list restarting without proper shut down, nothing more...
Who Crashed doesn't find any dump files, so not a windows crash, seems like power loss.

I'm going to assume it's a power supply issue, the one I got is refurbished, which should be fine, but I might see if I can return and get a different one.
The transient spikes on those cards are troubling even some of the best quality PSUs out there. That could be a good place to start with.