New Build Blueprint [Help me buy efficiently]

Slurpkins

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I am building my first pc ever (as my former pc's have all been handed down) and I would like to know if there is anyway better hardware that could be bought for the same amount. Here is the concept build so far:

Intel i5-2500k - $220
ASUS P8P67 PRO - $180
CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $80
EVGA GTX 560 - $185
NZXT HALE90-750 power supply - $160
NZXT Tempest Evo case - $110
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black internal harddrive - $90

I'm thinking the power supply could be swapped for a cheaper one, but I'm not sure which size to get and what a reliable brand is. Can anything be swapped out for cheaper, almost as efficient alternatives?

foverosiv

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
don't EVER cheap out on the PSU, get a Seasonic if you can, if not get Corsair or Antec PSU. but thats not a cheap PSU, but from an unknown/unreliable brand to me.

for CPU, get the i3-2100 if you can to shave off some money
get only 4GB(2*2GB) of RAM
reduced the size of your HDD to maybe 500GB or 750GB
get a cheaper motherboard, perhaps?

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Buy a crappy case, buy a crappy board, buy a crappy anything but you never buy expensive parts and a cheap ass PSU. That's like loading your house with expensive stuff and sticking a bit of plywood over the door hole. Once that cheap PSU goes and causes, for example, a power spike who knows what it will take with it.

I've seen too many issues with crappy third party PSU's that i know you get a solid PSU and usually a couple hundred more watts than you think is neccesary.

NZXT is pretty middle teir. I've had a couple of their cases and they certainly cut corners on them.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Samsung Spinpoint F3 - $60
G.SKill 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHZ - $65
Seasonic, Antec, and Corsair are the reputable power supplies brand as mentioned
Newegg has Antec HCG with good MIR offers and they're made by Seasonic.
Guy's he's spending 160$ on a PSU that's not being cheap; it's just that it's not a reputable brand. If you're only gaming and have no interest in other functions. Core i3-2100k together with a H6x motherboard will save you a lot of money.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
wintermint he said "I could swap the PSU for a cheaper one"

We weren't referring directly to the NZXT PSU but to the idea of changing it out for a cheap one.

EDIT: that said you could drop the price a little, maybe to just over 100.

Slurpkins

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
For the PSU, I'm not sure whether it is better to get a 750w Corsair or 750 wSeasonic. To be honest, I don't even know if that is a good size.
I thought NZXT's new PSU was reliable, but I guess I'm wrong.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I'll be honest with you, There's most likely nothing wrong with that NZXT PSU, and for 160 dollars i'd expect it to be well built. The only issues we're having with it is-
A) NZXT, as a name, has been known not as a high end parts maker.
and
B)160 for what we percieve as a a mid-tier PSU is way too much

Now, is it possible that this PSU is made and tested well? Certainly. But from our preconceptions of the NZXT name we wouldn't assume off the bat that this is so.

Traditionally, the names Seasonic and Antec are very well made and tested PSUs, especially on the higher end.