[SOLVED] New build boot with iGPU and no external GPU?

Oct 6, 2020
This is my first build in 2 decades. I do not own a GPU.

I am considering building up the machine and using the internal graphic processor for several months until the GPU market is more favorable. I understand that most motherboards default to external GPUs. If one is not present and the MB supports output from the iGPU can I expect the thing to POST with graphics output to the monitor using the iGPU.

Currently I do not own or have access to any old GPU. I am considering purchasing a low end unit that will not support my long term needs as an interim solution if required. Most of my needs do not require advanced graphics. I do no gaming at all. I would like to run MSFS 2020 but I can wait months for this function.

I have seen many messages about going into the BIOS to force the motherboard to use the iGPU but in my case if the thing will not POST that option will not be available. I will just be able to connect the monitor to the motherboard DP and boot the computer.

Summary: Can I expect a motherboard with support for an iGPU, using a chip with an iGPU to POST to BIOS with only a monitor connected to the motherboard DP without prior access to the BIOS?

Solution
The only reason to need to "Force" the IGPU would be if the user needed it in conjunction with a discrete GPU. If no discrete GPU is installed in the PCI-Ex16 slot of the motherboard, it will default to the on-board graphics of the CPU.

In short, you don't need to do anything. As long as your CPU has integrated graphics, your system will boot just fine.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
The only reason to need to "Force" the IGPU would be if the user needed it in conjunction with a discrete GPU. If no discrete GPU is installed in the PCI-Ex16 slot of the motherboard, it will default to the on-board graphics of the CPU.

In short, you don't need to do anything. As long as your CPU has integrated graphics, your system will boot just fine.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Oct 6, 2020
Thank you for your on point response. I was looking at a motherboard that does not support iGPUs but I may consider a different board to keep this option open. It does not appear that good value on a mid-level GPU card will be available to me in the next few weeks. This should allow me to complete the rest of the system and get the card later.

Thanks