[SOLVED] New build boots but no display and usb ports do not work!

Oct 17, 2019
As mentioned in the title, i just recently finished my build, i boot it up. Everything is fine, my radiator fans turn on, pump is on, all the rgb on the motherboard, fans and pump work. GPU fan is spinning. I am getting no display and my mouse and keyboard that i plug into the case and motherboard do not light up, or work. The only issue is that my ram does not light up (it is rgb ram) and my motherboard has a built in code protocol and it says code 53. I've looked it up and it says it is a memory issue, as i have a flashing dram light on my motherboard.

I am running the rig with no internal drives, because i planned to transfer my old drive from my current rig to my new one, but i wanted to test it first before i wiped it, and for this same reason is why i didn't wipe it yet.

My specs are:

Motherboard: Asus maximus viii formula
Ram: G skill trident 3200mhz (2x8G)
CPU: I7 6700k
Cooler: Deepcool castle v2 240 rgb
GPU: pny gtx 1080
Case: nzxt h500
PSU: EVGA G5 650

Keep in mind, i have put in my gpu in my old system, and it works just fine. So it is not a gpu problem. Power supply works fine as well, because it is in the build that i am currently typing in.

Maybe some helpful things to know: My motherboard and cpu were my friends that he sold to me. The motherboard had bent pins, and i sent it to asus to get it fixed, paying $100 for the repair fee, and they sent me a refurbished board.

I also had an issue screwing in the screws in the motherboard, as 2 screws would not tighten all the way, and would just spin forever. I don't know if these problems could be causing it, but it is something that i thought could maybe lead to the issue.

Also, the first time i booted the system, i noticed that i somehow had placed the ram in the wrong way. I don't know how, but the ram slot still clicked and i was able to put in the ram, but i looked up online and saw that i had it backwards.

My motherboard rgb is still on even when i turn off my pc, unless i flip the power switch on my power supply. Can this short and fry my motherboard? It already made a popping sound once when i turned it off. I will probably be turning my pc on and off multiple times, and i'm scared to try and unplug stuff without the psu switch being turned off, because there is still technically electricity in my board for the LED lights that are still on when its turned off.

Please help me. This issue is extremely frustrating, i have spent a lot of money fixing this stupid board, and i'm afraid that with me not being able to access the bios to turn off the leds, i will fry my board switching the power on and off through the power supply fixing this stupid problem.

Solution
You could try a single ram module in a different slot to see if it will post. If there's a burn mark on back of the motherboard where the ram slot attaches that would confirm it. Not sure you'd want to go to the trouble of taking it all apart. Even if there's no burn mark the slot could still be bad. If it posts using a different slot, try each ram stick in that slot to verify each stick is good.
Oct 17, 2019
If you tried booting the system with a ram module in backwards you may have fried the ram slot.

Are you sure? My pc would continuously boot, but give the same errors. Could this problem damage my mobo and cpu? Because i think they are working fine, as my motherboard keeps giving me memory errors.

Any possible way to troubleshoot if my ram slots are fried? I could retry other slots to see if it works, or try my ram from my old build, but i don't want to ruin those as well.

Last edited:
You could try a single ram module in a different slot to see if it will post. If there's a burn mark on back of the motherboard where the ram slot attaches that would confirm it. Not sure you'd want to go to the trouble of taking it all apart. Even if there's no burn mark the slot could still be bad. If it posts using a different slot, try each ram stick in that slot to verify each stick is good.

Solution
Oct 17, 2019

Just checked the ram slots. No signs of burns. I noticed that the second ram wasn't pushed in all the way. The bottom part that is. Could this have maybe prevented the boot? I made sure to secure the first ram by pushing it all the way down on both sides, but i don't think i did that with the second one. Could that cause it not to post as well?

Just checked the ram slots. No signs of burns. I noticed that the second ram wasn't pushed in all the way. The bottom part that is. Could this have maybe prevented the boot? I made sure to secure the first ram by pushing it all the way down on both sides, but i don't think i did that with the second one. Could that cause it not to post as well?
Yes, the ram needs to be fully seated in the slot. Make sure power is off when doing any of this type of work.

Oct 17, 2019
Yes, the ram needs to be fully seated in the slot. Make sure power is off when doing any of this type of work.

Yes the power is turned off. I need to use my power supply for the pc i'm currently typing on. I will try it out after work and get back to you.

My only concern as of now is the popping sound i heard when i had to turn off my power supply switch to shut off my motherboard rgb. Since i need to boot, and turn off/unplug the power, it worries me since i can't turn off the rgb on the motherboard.