dienex

Prominent
Jan 7, 2021
Hi guys, hope you are well,

So basically I just built my new pc:
i7 12700kf
2080 AMP EXTREME ZOTAC
z690 gigabyte gaming x ddr4
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 ‎(CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18)

Everything booted the first time with no problems, but after I activated XMP it would not boot after save and exit. So after a CMOS reset, I tried manually setting the values slowly from 3200 up to 3600, which worked fine, along with timings 18-22-22-42-65 and voltage of the XMP profile with a boost from 1.35v to 1.36v, this seemed to work fine until mid game I got a BSOD. I have now reverted back to defaults and not sure where to go from here... maybe I am missing a setting along with clock,timing and voltage?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Solution
First, see if there is a motherboard bios update that addresses ram compatibility.
Such updates are common.

Then, there is a possibility that your ram is defective.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Lastly contact Corsair ram support guys for guidance.

dienex

Prominent
Jan 7, 2021
You might want to up the voltage to 1.4v and see if the timings and frequency hold up when taxed/you're gaming. What BIOS version are you working with on your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU?

I will try this!

The BIOS version shows F3 and PSU is corsair rm750x.

I think the BSOD error was nvlddmkm.sys but not 100% as it flashed up.

dienex

Prominent
Jan 7, 2021
You might want to up the voltage to 1.4v and see if the timings and frequency hold up when taxed/you're gaming. What BIOS version are you working with on your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU?

...and just to double-check, am I correct in changing System Memory Multiplier for Clock, DRAM Voltage for RAM Voltage and CAS Latency, tRCD, tRP, tRAS and tRC for the Timings? this is the order in which they are displayed from top to bottom and matches the default settings before being changed. with the last value being in the advanced tab. Maybe I should only change the first 4 values as shown on the corsair website page I just found?

Memory Series VENGEANCE RGB PRO
Memory Type DDR4
Memory Size 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Tested Latency 18-22-22-42
Tested Voltage 1.35
Tested Speed 3600

Last edited:
First, see if there is a motherboard bios update that addresses ram compatibility.
Such updates are common.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

Solution

dienex

Prominent
Jan 7, 2021
Such updates are common.

Ok I will try memtest86 from USB to rule out bad RAM.

My BIOS updater says there is an update available from F3 to F6... would you recommend this? I'm thinking to use Q-FLASH instead of the desktop APP BIOS software if I do...

Kind regards :)

Last edited:

dienex

Prominent
Jan 7, 2021
BIOS Update fully sorted it, XMP is now enabled with a clean boot. I also ran memtest86 before enabling XMP just in case and it passed once with no errors so I assumed the best.

Life saver. Dying Light 2 can't come any sooner.