Question New build BSOD

Sep 12, 2019
Hi there,

My brother-in-law and I have completed his new build, it was his first, and we having some issues with the machine getting random crashes and BSOD. I'm running out of options to try so I would like to see if anyone else has any other information or can guide us in the right direction.

Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: OLOy WarHawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card ($359.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT H500i ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.98 @ NZXT)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro French CDN - DVD 64-bit
Total: $1062.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-12 11:18 EDT-0400

Symptoms

The crashes are pretty sporadic. He could be listening to music via YouTube and playing Minecraft and he'll get a restart / blue screen of death. It happens at weird times, typically at nights. When we first built the machine he rarely had these issues. He brought his computer over for a LAN and I noticed some freezing and some issues. Now it's every day. He's not a happy camper.

The machine will also boot into windows and the USB devices will be unusable and stuck at the lock screen. The machine will sit there for about 3-5 minutes and then reboot itself and the USB devices will be usable again. If you reboot the machine a half dozen times you can replicate this issue.

Troubleshooting:

• Windows 10 is completely up-to-date.
  • Graphics drivers are up-to-date
  • Intel SSD drivers are up-to-date
  • We've installed all the ASRock Chipset drivers
  • We've flashed the BIOS to latest
  • We've installed the AMD X570 Chipset drivers
  • Disabled the NZXT Cam Software (buggy as hell)
  • Disconnected the Smart Feature of the case
  • Ran Memory Tests which come back fine
I haven't gone ahead and reinstalled Windows because we are just getting a random kernel panic and shut off and I don't see any software leading to those issues. It's something I would like to try out but want to flush out the Hardware concerns first.

Next Steps:

I think I'm going to run Ultimate Boot CD on the machine and do a MemTest 86, HD Tests, and etc. If all the hardware comes back fine I will go ahead and reinstall Windows. I was thinking this could also need some re-seating of some of the hardware (ram, m.2, etc) or a PSU issue.

Anyone have any thoughts? Would be very helpful to get this nailed down so he can have some positive thoughts about PC Builds.

Ok this may sound crazy but are you using WiFi or are you hardwired? I had this exact issue a long time ago and it came down to one of the two Ethernet chips on my mobo. Mine was not an intel chip but the same issue can occur with some versions of intel LAN. The problem is down to drivers and it can cause the USB controller to lock up and extreme memory Leaks that lead to BSOD. This issue was biggest in windows 8 and 8.1 but has shown up in 10 before. Try updating your LAN drivers and have your buddy keep task manager open specifically watching the paged and non-paged pool files. If they keep climbing then you will know it is a memory leak. The exact fix depends on the situation. In my case I just use the other jack but since you only have one if this is the problem you may need to switch to WiFi get a PCIe LAN card. Try searching around with the specific LAN model to see if there is a fix I know some can be solved with RegEdit

Sep 12, 2019
This is hardwired. I have seen it crash using a USB Bluetooth WiFi adapter as well. I will go ahead and updated the LAN drivers and see if that resolves some of the issues. I'll do some research to see if others with this chip experience the same issues.

Sep 12, 2019
Updating the LAN driver did not help.

I’ve learned that majority of the crashes have happened while recording his stream while playing. Im picking up the machine tomorrow to run some more diagnostic scans with UBC.

The one thing that is bizarre is that some times when it boots USB devices stop working all together and the machine sits at the locks screen and eventually reboots. If I power cycle the machine it works fine again.

I may throw an additional drive for the stream recording. This should take some load off the single m.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRENDING THREADS