[SOLVED] New build: Budget gaming build (+/- 1200 euros)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Falx

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hello,

My brother-in-law asked me to build him a new gaming pc. He enjoys the latest and greatest games (Civ 6, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Ark, Mount&Blade 2), but has a limited budget of around 1200 euro's.
He has a full HD monitor (1080p 60Hz) that he plans on keeping for now. His last system was an AMD FX 8320 @ 3,5 Ghz with a Geforce GTX 960

This is what I came up with:

Can anyone give me some recommendations on this build?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Solution
I read about the 5700 XT, but there seem to be a lot of driver issues though..
Driver issues are there but AMD is known to mitigate their driver issues over time. Its kind of a trend in almost all of their cards. One of my colleagues is running a 5700 non XT for a while now and it seems to have stabilized more and more from the time he had bought it. On the flip side, with that card you can max out every game on that monitor.

I also see all of you opt for 16GB of DDR4-3600. Would you favor this over 32GB of DDR-3000 ?
For a mostly gaming load, 16gb should be enough for the foreseeable future. Ryzen 3rd gen. seems to give max performance from 3600mhz low latency RAM like CL16. Tighter the timing, better the performance...
All of your suggestions taken into account, I reshuffled some things. As @QwerkyPengwen said, I should take a little more care taking the budget in mind. (easy to overshoot, because I am a PC enthousiast myself). I was thinking of dropping down to a Ryzen 5 3600. This lowers the price with about 100€ and my bro-in-law is not going to stream, video edit, or whatever. Since that cooler is a bit worse, I would reintroduce the aftermarket cooler. I've taken the suggestions of GPU and Storage in mind (this will be paired with a WD green 3TB SATA-600 spinning disk he still has). Also went with 16GB of 3600 CAS16 memory. This is what I've come up with now:

Looks good. Change the cooler to this...
https://www.megekko.nl/product/1994/999442/CPU-Luchtkoeling/Gelid-Solutions-Phantom-Black

Its a better cooler than the Hyper at same price...
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/891730-cpu-cooler-performance-tier-list/ (Tier 4)
https://www.enostech.com/gelid-solutions-phantom-black-cpu-air-cooler-review/

Last edited:
The Wraith cooler that comes with the Ryzen CPU is at the very least on par with the Hyper 212 EVO.
The 3600 in their latest build only comes with the Wraith Stealth, which is half the height of the Wraith Spire included with the 3600X, and even less substantial compared to the 3700X's heatpipe-equipped Wraith Prism. As such, it's only somewhat better than Intel's stock coolers, and not really close to even a relatively cheap 120mm tower cooler like a 212. It's arguably adequate, but an aftermarket cooler like that is a reasonable option if one is after quieter operation.

TRENDING THREADS