New Build Budget Gaming PC

amateurbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hello Guys,

I am building a new system for casual/budget gaming, and here is the config.

need to play games like crysis 2, duex ex human rev, and mayb any new game at medium. I have a 19" monitor 1440x900 resolution.

Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Processor
GSkill RipJaw Series 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ
ATI Radeon 6750 1GB DDR5

Let me know if there are any other better video cards than 6750 that are available. ( around that price range)

Any other suggestions would be helpful as I am building my first Pc :) Appreciate any help!

Also Power Supply.. i was looking at Antec/Corshair 450W. WIll taht suffice?

Solution

if you want to upgrade to bulldozer in future, make sure you get a am3+ or 9 series mobo
as for the pcie slots im not really bothered with multi gpu's as ive got 2xgtx 480's and the fact i cant play battlefield(stuttering) is just disgraceful and the annoying thing is when i disable sli its back to playable again! only...

amateurbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
thanks for the input.. 6770 is more or less the same price,. wil definately get that..

x4 840 is more or less the same performance as 955 BE ? and can i overclock that? i am not sure if i want to overclock.. but later if i want ,. can i do it?

and any comments on the motherboard? gigabyte is reliable right

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

if its the x4 840 and 955 you have to choose from, definatlt get the 955 as the 955 has the extra l3, the 840 is really a athlon x4 but as it has a high clock speed its catching up to the slower phenoms so amd decided to rebadge it as the phenom x4 8xx, but as i was saying get the 955, you dont have to overclock to get the 955 but the unlocked mutilpier does make overclocking easier

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
The system you spec'ed will probably draw less than 350W under full load. A 450W PSU would be more than sufficient and you could easily go down to a 400W PSU. Just make sure it is a quality PSU like Antec or Corsair. I believe there is an Antec Earthwatts 400W PSU which would be a good choice.

As for the RAM, dual channel 2x2GB is better than single channel 4GB RAM. Generally it is the same price or very close. Here is a good alternative.

amateurbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
thanks megadelayed & nordlead. Will look at those alternatives.

Whats the reason for 2X2GB to be better than single channel? I had read on GSkill forum that single channel ram is better. any thoughts?

Also can any of you help me with the cabinet? i had Cooler Master Elite 430 Black Transparent and NZXT M59 in mind.
Is that suitable for this config? and what about cooling? Will this suffice

And how about Seasonic 430W S12II-430 Bronze (SS-430GB Active PFC) Power Supply for a PSU?

ervinelim

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

yeah the cases you picked are good but this case is better. HAF means High Airflow. So yeah... Better cooling

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf%20912

Although, I have a elite 430 and it's also good ^_^.

Don't get 2x2gb, it's just a waste of slots. Just get 4gb now then add 4gb later if you really want dual channeling but there isn't a great improvement that one would notice.

PSU is great but don't get that. Get this 500watts. Cheaper or more or less the same price. ^_^ good luck bro

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

The only time I've ever maxed out slots and wished there were more is on my laptops that only have 2 and I didn't want to throw away my old RAM for new ones.

Dual channel memory theoretically doubles the memory throughput. However, in real life situations you'll never come close to the theoretical gains and you may not see any gains at all. While you may or may not see any benefit from 2-channel memory depending on what you are doing, the only downside of it is a wasted slot. With 4 slots he can go to 8GB which will probably be sufficient until his next build. So, I see no reason not to use dual channel memory. If you see yourself expanding to more than 8GB of RAM before a new build, then you should probably be buying more RAM off the start.

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

agreed as there are a improvement with dual channel over single but it isnt much, i think the guy in the gskill forum meant that its better for future upgrades

amateurbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks a lot for the input guys.! yeah single channel looks ok now considering that the performance difference wouldn't be that much!. And i can upgrade it later on if i get the Bulldozer :p

The only downside in the motherboard i see is that it has only 1 pci express slot.. so 2 cards in crossfire are out of the question :( any other good boards there? i had a MSI once, wasnt any good. gave me a lot of problems!

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

if you want to upgrade to bulldozer in future, make sure you get a am3+ or 9 series mobo
as for the pcie slots im not really bothered with multi gpu's as ive got 2xgtx 480's and the fact i cant play battlefield(stuttering) is just disgraceful and the annoying thing is when i disable sli its back to playable again! only thing is nvidia dosent support 3+monitors with one video card is a downside tho. i would just get one good graphic card like at least the 6870 or the 570 as its probably good enough to take most games at high res and detail

Solution