New build but forgot about the old programmes

politico

Commendable
Mar 27, 2018
Hello,

I am in the process of building a new PC after my very old one slowly gave up.

With the stress and excitement I completely forgot to research on how to transfer my old programmes from the old hard drive to the new one?

My emails, office programmes etc.; do I just start anew and copy everything piece by piece or is there a trick to copy select parts - while ignoring the old system drivers - to the new hard drive?

Sorry, I’m new to this forum so if anything is unclear in my description, feel free to ask.

Solution

It's up to YOU to find and "migrate" their data.

Programs can't be migrated piecemeal.
Far too many moving parts. When an application is installed, there are dozens, sometimes thousands of entries made in the Registry and elsewhere. I've not seen anything that could move a particular application from one install to another.
There are a couple that can move trivially small applications. But you could generally do those yourself.
Most applications will need to be reinstalled with the new OS.

USAFRet

Titan

It's up to YOU to find and "migrate" their data.

Programs can't be migrated piecemeal.
Far too many moving parts. When an application is installed, there are dozens, sometimes thousands of entries made in the Registry and elsewhere. I've not seen anything that could move a particular application from one install to another.
There are a couple that can move trivially small applications. But you could generally do those yourself.
Most applications will need to be reinstalled with the new OS.

Solution