New build: Cannot install Windows: WHEA uncorrectable error" or "machine_check_exception"

thedeitz

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
Just got done with a new build from used/new parts. Boots up to BIOS just fine but when I try and install windows it shows the blue flag as its loading setup but then goes to a BSOD with either "WHEA uncorrectable error" or "machine_check_exception" Here are the specs:

ASUS P8z77-M
i7 2700k w/ Hyper 212 Evo
GTX 1060 6gb
16gb G. Skill 1600mhz
Corsair CM750M PSU

I'm pretty experienced (I've build and sold 60 PC's as a side business) but I've never ran into this issue before and I'm truly stumped.

Things I've tried:

Unplugging SSD/HDD/GPU
Different PSU
Different RAM with only 1 stick in
CMOS and battery reset
Updating BIOS and defaulting all settings
Manual CPU voltage to 1.25 and 1.3 and 1.1
X.M.P profile for proper ram timings
Different windows boot usb and CD boot

CPU temp in bios says 25C so I'm not sure it would be a heatsink issue... Also bios puts default voltage at 1.088V which is why I tried changing it to higher values. Nothing.

When I get home tonight I'll be trying a different CPU with the stock cooler to narrow it down even further. Just curious if any of you had any more ideas. Thanks!

Solution
I put in a different CPU and it worked. So I put the 2700k in a different PC with a different asus mobo and it gave me the same error. Pretty sure it's got to be the CPU. I contacted the guy that sold it to me claimed I broke it so I'm 99% he ripped me off. Grr.
Given everything you tried, seems like a CPU or board problem. An odd USB issue? Only keyboard and mouse plugged in. Maybe disable XHCI forcing USB 2.0 only. Machine check exemption is usually a hardware or OC issue, but can be caused by drivers occasionally as well.

thedeitz

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
I put in a different CPU and it worked. So I put the 2700k in a different PC with a different asus mobo and it gave me the same error. Pretty sure it's got to be the CPU. I contacted the guy that sold it to me claimed I broke it so I'm 99% he ripped me off. Grr.

Solution

rolldogg

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
I'm having the exact same issue, but I'm using a different CPU, brand new, and it's also a new build. I've been having this issue for months, and the only thing I've been able to figure out is that it's some kind of incompatibility issue with the Asus USB ports and Windows 10.