Question New Build - Can't Enter BIOs

May 5, 2023
Testing a new build out of case. These are the currently installed parts:

-b650 aorus elite AX

-7800x3d

-G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo 2 x 16

-Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe (no OS installed yet)

-Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1000W 80+ Gold

Other than being unable to enter the BIOs everything else seems to be working. All LEDs/fans/peripherals are running just fine and the startup screen is detecting the motherboard correctly and that a new CPU has been installed.

But when i 'press DEL to enter setup' (also tried f2/f12/fwhatever - manual says delete tho) nothing happens. Not from the setup screen nor if i spam during power up/post. A read out that said 'entering setup' is as far as i've gotten but i reset after about 5 mins of being stuck there. Now i can't even get that to show again.

So far I've:

-double checked that the ram sticks are in the correct slots (A2, B2)

-tried 1 ram stick in each of the 4 slots, with both sticks (this seemed to work both 'better' and worse, triggering the 'entering setup' readout more often, but also sometimes taking much longer to reach the startup screen or not reaching it at all)

-reset the CMOS (by removing and replacing the battery after 1 min as directed in the manual - waited more like 5 tho)

-removed the m.2

-different keyboards, different usb slots, different monitors, different hdmi

-let it sit there on the start up screen for 30 mins with no changes.

Little to no progress. Not really sure what's next. Would love some input.

So, that board has Q-flash plus, which means you can update the BIOS without even having a CPU installed or the system powered on. I'd recommend that you download the F4 BIOS version if you don't know for certain that you already have that version as it may well have come with version F1. It does indicate support for the 7800x3d since BIOS version F1, but I've seen them say that before and there still be problems until at least a certain revision number that corrects some problems. I'd recommend downloading the latest version, unzip it to a flash drive and proceed through the process for updating the BIOS using Q-flash Plus which you can learn about here:

It's probably not the worst idea either if nothing else pans out, to pull the CPU and check for bent pins which is a pretty common oops for a lot of builders.