[New Build] Cataclysm prepared rig

tanner775

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: End of November 2010

Budget Range: $900-$1100

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming - WoW @ max settings w/ 60 fps.

Parts Not Required: using a cheap cordless mouse/keyboard. Everything else I need

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com please

Country of Origin: U.S.A

Parts Preferences: I like AMD, I hear its best for gaming. ASUS/Gigabyte etc...

Overclocking: Not familiar with Overclocking, I know it has to do soemthing w/ CPU

SLI or Crossfire: not sure what this is either.

Monitor Resolution: w/e WoW offers

Additional Comments: Would prefer a quiet PC but I understand if it doesn't fit budget range or w/e. I also, have a Antec 300 ATX Mid-tower case already. I baught it from newegg.com a while ago but I stalled and couldn't get the money in time. So I am stuck with this case, I am trying to sell it on craigslist but if its a good case to use then I will keep it and use it for the build.

Thanks,
Tanner

Antec 300 is a great case for a gaming computer. You should keep it and use it.

Any specifics anyone gives you now is likely to change in the next 6 weeks.

Look at the "READ THIS FIRST" sticky and go to the "builds by usage" link to get an idea of what parts you should be looking at.

tanner775

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
based off the research I found, i have posted the following link from newegg.com to show you what I was planning on buying for my new build. I was thinking about just going to cyberpowerpc.com and just buying a PREBUILT gaming rig but this is my first time making an investment like this so I don't want to screw it up because of my noobness =P.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20639048

thanks for any help.

Depending on the system you get, you will pay them $150-500 to assemble the PC for you. You have to decide if its worth that much to you or not.

You parts list is fine. The 5770 is a bit weak compared to the 965 CPU, but since you can upgrade to a second 5770 later thats prepared for a good upgrade path.

You could save$15 dollars dropping to the 955 instead of the 965 if you will overclock anyway.

You could get an Antec or Seasonic 620W PSU for a bit cheaper and still have plenty of wattage for a second 5770 when you want to add one.

Good RAM selection. 1.5V or less is best, I think.

Look for combos

tanner775

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010

thanks for the advice. the wishlist doesn't allow me to post the combos but the CPU and Mobo I have on there is a combo deal - save $25 I think.

I'm just scared I will screw something up if I build it myself and I don't want to blow all that money. So thats why I was considering a prebuilt one from cyberpower. Is it pretty easy to build one if you use a guide?

Dont get the cyberpower unless you specify the PSU (Adds $70 for the 650TX).

Your home build has a better case, better HDD, probably better GPU cooler, better RAM, better motherboard.

You have to decide if you want to do the assembly or not. It takes some patience, following directions and caution. If thats not your thing then having someone else build it for you might be the right decision for you. If you think it might be fun but are scared, remember you will always be scared until you have done it. Come to think of it, I am scared Ill destroy a component every time I build a new PC. Fear is good if it makes you cautious, bad if it makes you too scared to even try.