[SOLVED] New Build Check/Optimization

dleavitt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
After a little over 8 years it is time to build from scratch, and before actually buying anything I wanted to get feedback from the great community here at Tom's Hardware.

Approximate Purchase date: Was initially thinking Black Friday/Cyber Monday, but based on some research it doesn't look like most of my parts will be significantly discounted since they are in decent demand. Open to thoughts, might buy/build earlier than that if the case.

Budget Range: Don't really have a budget per se, I suppose under $1,500 is reasonable for hardware.

System Usage: Gaming, Media Server (always on), Photoshop/Lightroom, general productivity

Current parts list (nothing purchased yet):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($152.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1368.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-20 11:58 EDT-0400

Additional Comments: I'm not a cutting-edge gamer, but want this build to last a good long time. My old Phenom II box has had a good run, but having some stability issues/hangs and just isn't up to running modern titles at the graphics settings I'd prefer.

Mobo: must have front-panel USB-C and Ryzen 3000 ready. Don't want to deal with BIOS update to get it running, but other than those two things I'm not particularly stuck on and X570 board in particular. Open to other suggestions if you think there is a better choice.

Memory: Ryzen apparently really benefits from dual-rank RAM, which is the only reason I'm going with 32GB (which is more capacity than I really need). This was one of the least expensive kits from a reputable manufacturer I found, but I'm not particularly attached to my current selection.

Video Card: Was initially going with a RX 5700, but I play a lot of older games and it sounds like DirectX 9 and 10 do not play well with the Navi cards at this time. Plus, I've never had a Nvidia card, so not a bad thing to try something new. Monitor is 144hz 1080p, want to max out Borderlands 3.

So, any major suggestions?

Solution
I'd get the Samsung 970 Evo Plus if you want a big SSD as the primary drive. It's just me but I'd build an matx/mitx system regardless of platforms. Less desktop/realestate wastage. you can look at a higher clocked ram kit.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd get the Samsung 970 Evo Plus if you want a big SSD as the primary drive. It's just me but I'd build an matx/mitx system regardless of platforms. Less desktop/realestate wastage. you can look at a higher clocked ram kit.

Solution