Question New build check

sroberti

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
I have put together a list for my new build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/K4Km3Z. The GPU and SSD I have already bought, and the case will be taken from my old build. The purpose for this build is 1080p 144Hz gaming, and I would like this build to last for a decent time (my current rig was built 8 years ago, although it hasn't been keeping up for a while now). Normally I would have gone with a Ryzen 3600, but the price is currently inflated so much that there is a 100 euro difference between the 3600 and the 10400F. I went with the Z490 board to be able to use 3200 MHz RAM. I would like to stay around this price level (already had to stretch my budget to fit in the 3060).

Thoughts on this build? Anything to keep in mind? Hopefully there will not be too much of a bottleneck with the 3060 Ti. I decided to go with the stock cooler for now to see what the noise levels and temperatures will be. Is that unwise?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and advice before I pull the trigger!

Lutfij

Titan
The build is fine as is but if I were given the liberty to tweak it, I'd ditch a single large SSD and split that into two. One 250GB NVMe SSD for the OS and app's while a second M.2 SSD(NVMe or SATA based) for the games library, then drop in an HDD later down the road for storage.

You could shrink the build to an matx one and then sell the case to recover some of the money spent but that's your call. I personally don't like tall builds anymore.

sroberti

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
The build is fine as is but if I were given the liberty to tweak it, I'd ditch a single large SSD and split that into two. One 250GB NVMe SSD for the OS and app's while a second M.2 SSD(NVMe or SATA based) for the games library, then drop in an HDD later down the road for storage.

You could shrink the build to an matx one and then sell the case to recover some of the money spent but that's your call. I personally don't like tall builds anymore.

Thank you for the advice! As I mentioned the SSD is already on its way to me. I'm curious though, why do you recommend separate SSDs for OS/apps and games? I do have a 256 GB SATA SSD from my old build as well as a 2TB HDD that I can drop in. I guess I would need to format the old SSD though, as that currently has the OS on it.

TRENDING THREADS