[SOLVED] New build, compatibility and opinions!!!

rodrigogamba

Prominent
Aug 14, 2018
Hi, everyone!!!
I'm building a new PC and I'm about to buy all my new hardware. I just need your help and knowledge to make the best choice.

Here my possible specs:
MOBO: B450M steel legend
CPU: ryzen 7 3700x
RAM: PNY xlr8 2x8 GB
@3200MHz
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 gaming
HDD: M.2 ADATA spectrix 512 gb
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Case: Cooler Master Q300L

I will be very grateful if you could help me with your opinions about this new rig.

Solution
it is compatible, but the CPU is capable of more (QVL has units running at 4000) and RAM is not as overclock friendly as it was back in the day so buy the RAM at your target speed. if you want to maximize the bandwidth the Ryzen gets getting the fastest RAM you can is my suggestion.

I suggest the intake fans in the front of the system, heat rises so exhaust at the REAR and TOP near the rear.
That mobo isn't GUARANTEED to ship with a Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS. If it doesn't come with a new enough version, you'll need a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen CPU to perform the update with. Some stores offer this service (probably free of you buy the mobo from them).

MSIs "max" series mobos ship with Ryzen 3000 BIOS

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
flags on the play
first. the Motherboard MAY require a BIOS update to support the 3 series. the only out of the box ready previous boards I know about are the MSI MAX, they have been made ready to go. that is what the MAX signifies.
second. with the 3 series CPU get 3600mhz ram as the starting place
all I got

rodrigogamba

Prominent
Aug 14, 2018
That mobo isn't GUARANTEED to ship with a Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS. If it doesn't come with a new enough version, you'll need a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen CPU to perform the update with. Some stores offer this service (probably free of you buy the mobo from them).

MSIs "max" series mobos ship with Ryzen 3000 BIOS
Thanks for answer.

I have the chance to get the mobo from my local store, I checked it, and it is already updated. With this have in mind, do you still think it is better some MSI "max" series mobo?

rodrigogamba

Prominent
Aug 14, 2018
flags on the play
first. the Motherboard MAY require a BIOS update to support the 3 series. the only out of the box ready previous boards I know about are the MSI MAX, they have been made ready to go. that is what the MAX signifies.
second. with the 3 series CPU get 3600mhz ram as the starting place
all I got
Thanks for answer.

I have the chance to get the mobo from my local store, I checked it, and it is already updated. With this in mind, do you still think it is better some MSI "max" series mobo?

Hi,

The 3600mhz ram rises the price a little bit, so do you recomend the 3600 because the 3200 is not compatible? or could it be not compatible?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it is compatible, but the CPU is capable of more (QVL has units running at 4000) and RAM is not as overclock friendly as it was back in the day so buy the RAM at your target speed. if you want to maximize the bandwidth the Ryzen gets getting the fastest RAM you can is my suggestion.

I suggest the intake fans in the front of the system, heat rises so exhaust at the REAR and TOP near the rear.

Solution

rodrigogamba

Prominent
Aug 14, 2018

ok, understood, thank you very much!!!

EDIT: and about the MOBO, what do you think? Is it a good choice?

rodrigogamba

Prominent
Aug 14, 2018

And what about the mobo, do you thik it is a good choice?