Question New build compatibility check - no video

Jan 2, 2022
Hello,

First time poster but I've read some etiquette threads (i'm not new to forums - just first time on Tom's) and have also reviewed the sticky on "No POST, system won't boot" etc. I was a long time PC guy and built many systems but haven't for 8 years since i moved to MAC. This year, my Dad (80) asked me to build him a new PC since his last one was 8 years old which i built. I tried to talk him into store bought but he really wanted me to do it for him. I know things have changed a lot and interoperability is much more complicated than it was but I agreed to help him even though i'm 2500 miles away geographically. At any rate, he doesn't do anything CPU intensive. Basically, he surfs the web and sometimes watches TV shows on it, documents, email, listens to music and I think for games he pretty much still plays the basic solitaire, etc. No games for him. No video editing. This is a basic, productivity PC build which may be his last. (hope not!). I believe i found the basics for this build on the Tom's site but I did make a couple alterations which i'm hoping didn't bite me.

Build Details:
Case: Phanteks PH-EC360ATG
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750W 80+ Gold
MB: Gigabyte B560M DS3H
Proc: Intel Core i5-11400F 6 core 4.4GHz
Mem: Silicon Power DDR4 32GB (16GBx2) 3200MHz (PC4 25600)
Drives: WD 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD Gen3 x4 PCI-E 8Gb/s, and a 2TB Seagate Barracude SATA

The Problem:
I've got it all put together but unfortunately, no video. The board has no system LED's (that i've found) and the case didn't come with a piezo speaker so I was flying blind. i hear the drive click, the fans come on the case and CPU and there is a yellow light strip on the board which comes on so it's "up" sorta but i'm blind. Since i have ZERO PC parts anymore, no piezo speakers lying around, no video cards to try...I took it to a local PC shop for eval. They called me back and said the board i bought does of course support onboard video which was the plan BUT, my CPU does not support it so it will never work. Their fix would be installing a new CPU and water cooler which would support it. They didn't elaborate but they also said i had something mis-wired. The bill: $500. I told them that can't be the only option, why couldn't we just add a cheap video card which was amazing 3 years ago but cheap today? They said the only option there would be a bill of about $1,000. Since my entire build was about $1,000 here, this seems ridiculous and I told them i will just pick it back up and figure it out. it's not in my possession today but I'll have it back tomorrow sometime and will dig in.

More Info:
My board did not come with a manual and i couldn't easily find it online so i was kinda flying blind in addition to the current PSU setup being so different than it was 8 years ago. I have found it online now and when i get it back, I will check the instructions and make sure i don't have something mis-wired. I've also ordered a piezo speaker which will be here on Wednesday so i can get some beep codes from it.

My Ask:
Can someone tell me for sure if the store owner is correct in saying my cpu/mb combination will not support onboard video? is this true of my setup?
If so, what's the best bang for my buck in a video card which would fix this situation knowing the above, no games, video editing, etc? I'm thinking cheap now but great quality when it was released...

Sorry this post is so long but wanted to provide all information here. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

/Reed

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 2, 2022
That i5-11400F does NOT have onboard graphics.

That CPU requires a GPU.
That was quick and glad to hear the shop didn't lie to me about it. I could return the CPU to Amazon and get a different one but that doesn't feel right - it's opened and installed. Do you have a recommendation by chance on a cheap GPU option?

If not or don't think that's the way to go, which CPU would you recommend?

thank you kindly,
Reed

USAFRet

Titan
That was quick and glad to hear the shop didn't lie to me about it. I could return the CPU to Amazon and get a different one but that doesn't feel right - it's opened and installed. Do you have a recommendation by chance on a cheap GPU option?

If not or don't think that's the way to go, which CPU would you recommend?

thank you kindly,
Reed
For a GPU, the market is screwed right now.

Basically, you buy whatever you can find and afford.

Thank you. Do you have a specific CPU recommendation on this which would be similar to what I had built? I'm not sure I know offhand what i'd be looking at.

Reed
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/92VmP6/intel-core-i5-11400-26-ghz-6-core-processor-bx8070811400
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/34ddnQ/intel-core-i5-11600-28-ghz-6-core-processor-bx8070811600

The above CPUs doesn't have to cost you more than 50 - 100 over the 11400F includes assembling. And you absolutely don't need a water cooler.

I could return the CPU to Amazon and get a different one but that doesn't feel right - it's opened and installed.
Sell it on Ebay or smt for 110 - 120

Reactions: reedlabs
Jan 2, 2022
I sure appreciate all the help. So, it looks to me like this CPU will fix the issues. Is this correct?

Intel Core i5-11500 Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.6 GHz LGA1200 (Intel 500 Series & Select 400 Series Chipset) 65W

Jan 2, 2022
Thanks to Sid and USAFRet for the assist. I've ordered the new processor which will be here Wednesday. I'll post my progress and hopefully, success.

cheers folks and HNY to all!

/Reed