Question New build compatibility?

Jan 20, 2020
Hello!

I am building out a windows 10 PC now that windows 7 is gone, and I need to double check that I haven't missed anything in terms of compatibility issues between my components. This is one of my first builds, and I'm worried I'm overlooking something important.

I plan to use:
  • Intel Core i7-8700K
  • Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM
  • Asus TUF Z370 Plus Gaming ATX LGA1151
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200
  • 2x 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (general storage)
  • 1x 8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (archive storage)
  • 1x 512GB Seagate FireCuda SSD (boot disk)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB
  • Corsair AX 1000 W 80+ Titanium
  • Asus BC-12D2HT optical R/W drive (I still use a fair bit of disk media)

I plan to shove it all into a Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK full tower case.

Link to the part picker is here.

I'm not a build expert, so any input would be useful. I'm mostly concerned with just knowing that everything will plug together correctly and communicate well. Also if I've overlooked any space issues with the case chosen, that would be good to know about. Any suggestions would be useful!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate all your responses.

You don’t need a 1000W PSU. Get a 650W instead

I want to allow a bit of upward expansion in the future, so the extra power budget above the 2x that's generally recommended seems worth it to me. It's not a particularly large difference in price between the two even though I'm going for 80+ titanium, so I figured the 1000W PSU would be a good choice. are there any issues you can think of that might arise from having too much unused available power?

I would like to know what this PC will be used for.
The components you have picked are not Gaming, Production or Worksation focused.

I intend to use it for a combination of work and home, ie, payroll, bill pay, document storage, plus music and photos as well as general net surfing. I'd like a good, solid machine but it doesn't need to have top of the line specs. I'd like to leave a fair bit of upward power budget so that I can do whatever I might want to do even if I don't expect it right now, so the components aren't focused in a specific direction. There's a good chance that it might be used for some 3D CAD work at some point. Is there any particular issue with not focusing all parts down a specific path? It's not obvious to me that there's a drawback there.

Any specific reason to go Intel? Not that it's a bad choice.

What is the pc actually being used for?

And for what do you need 65grams of MX-2??

I prefer an Intel chipset because I've always used their chips except in one circumstance, and in that one circumstance I ran into some problems. Our last office machines did not have an Intel motherboard (we were told they weren't available at the time) and we had a few business-specific limitations; hope that makes sense. Besides that one instance, I've always used Intel. The chips function well and I like their stuff.

Also, thanks for pointing out that I'd tossed 65g of the stuff on there. I didn't notice that in the listing! Definitely no reason I need that much.

Thank you! Any other responses would be much appreciated.